07/10/01 11:14 AM
07/10/01 11:14 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am new to h16 sailing. I have sailed lasers, but never h16's. My tacking stinks. Any suggestions?<br><br>

Attached Files
602- (45 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tacking #605
07/10/01 11:45 AM
07/10/01 11:45 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yes, gybe instead :-) You'll never tack as gracefully in a Hobie as when you're in a Laser, although with a bit of practise you should be able to get it not too bad.
<br>
<br>One rule of thumb to always follow (actually this is true in all boats, just espescially so in Hobies): tack from close-haul to close-haul. (If you do it right, when you're done you'll be 90 degrees from your original point of sail.) Even starting from a close-reach is too far from the wind (in my experience) to bring you all the way through and past irons, you'll stall out and then have to do that "sail backwards" thing to get out of irons.
<br>
<br>Backwinding the jib helps a lot too.
<br>
<br>And, of course, a bit of practise. (As if we really need an excuse to get out there more often!)
<br>
<br>The only thing I have a real problem with when tacking on my H16 is that the jib battens almost always get stuck on their own halyard, and it is a real pain in the butt to try to snap them free. Maybe this isn't a problem in heavier winds but I haven't owned my H16 long enough to tell for sure. I noticed Hobie has a batten hinge that is supposed to help deal with this but I haven't yet tried them, might go pick up a set. I just thought I'd add this in case you were having this happen on your tacks as well.
<br>
<br>cheers!<br><br>

Re: Tacking #606
07/10/01 12:29 PM
07/10/01 12:29 PM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Greg Offline
Greg  Offline

Santa Fe, New Mexico
I've also struggled with tacking for many years. When I first got my h16, I ran it without the jib, and tacking was impossible. The jib can help bring the bow around. I am not sure what the proper jib technique is, but perhaps someone else will reply. The most important thing I have learned about tacking is to lean the boat into the turn. Don't move to the high side until the last moment when capsizing is immenent. Also when you begin your tack don't just crank the rudders hard to the right (or left) since this will slow your momentum rapidly. Gradually increase your turn rate as you tack. The previous reply is important because you want max speed to bring you across the dead zone.
<br>Watch out for gybing in high wind.
<br>Keep working on it.
<br>Greg H14,H16<br><br>

Re: Tacking #607
07/10/01 03:36 PM
07/10/01 03:36 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tacking an H-16 can be as fast as a centerboard Cat. Most people who race H-16 have alot of aft mast rake this helps the jib not get hung up. Since light winds are the hardest to tack in, ALWAYS adjust your battens in the jib and main tighter for a more full foil shape this helps a lot. Like they said bear off to build boat speed the slowly and smoothly tack. Your rudders are excellent brakes if turned to far. So small rudder movments work better. As your comming up into the wind don't release your jib until it backwinds. If you get caught in irons and the boat starts to "back down" turn your rudders the opposite way(remember your going backwards) and it will make your jib backwind. as soon as the jib backwinds release it and turn the rudders back like they should be, and off you'll go. It takes a while to get the hang of it but you'll be doing great in no time. Also get Rick Whites book Catamaran Sailing for the 90's. It will explain the roll tack in greater detail. Also the importance of adjusting your sail battens for different wind conditions. It is a must read for any new Catsailor!
<br> Good Luck and have lots of FUN.<br><br>

Attached Files
613- (35 downloads)
Re: Tacking #608
07/10/01 07:16 PM
07/10/01 07:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've found that letting the traveler down about a foot before trimming the jib helps a bunch.<br><br>

Re: Tacking #609
07/11/01 07:06 AM
07/11/01 07:06 AM
Virginia USA
CMerrell Offline
enthusiast
CMerrell  Offline
enthusiast

Virginia USA
It is imperative to crack off the mainsheet when the boat goes head to wind. A tight mainsheet will weathervane the boat into irons. Start by cracking off a lot (3-4 feet). As your technique improves or in flat water you can let out less. On the new tack, trim the jib and main together or the jib a little faster (the main on the H16 is very powerful relative to the jib).
<br>
<br>This is explained much better in Rick White's book "Catamaran Racing".
<br>
<br><br><br>

Re: Tacking #610
07/13/01 06:53 AM
07/13/01 06:53 AM
West Texas
Hobie Dave Offline
Hobie Dave  Offline

West Texas
I agree with everything previously posted. Another thing is when to cross the tramp, and in high winds this is the most touchy part of tacking. Do not cross until the Jib back winds, as soon as you backwind--it is time to go, and in extreme wind, you crew has to be on the ball...sometimes making a flying leap to the other side of the boat, or the wind will grab you and flip you over backwards. I have sailed many boats, and there is nothing like tacking a 16. Note: when I do not have experienced crew aboard, I gybe in high winds...I hate those upside down moments... When you gybe, have your crew feed the jib to 90 degrees as you roll through the turn, and you should do the same with the main. Do not let the jib go free or it will wrap around the forestay/jib stay...
<br>
<br>I for one love my 16, it is a great boat.<br><br>

Attached Files
674- (41 downloads)
Re: Tacking #611
07/13/01 06:56 AM
07/13/01 06:56 AM
West Texas
Hobie Dave Offline
Hobie Dave  Offline

West Texas
One more note: I forgot to mention that after you backwind...in light wind have your crew wait a sec before uncleating...in high wind your crew should be ready to uncleat while they are making that flying leap....lol<br><br>

Attached Files
675- (34 downloads)
Re: Tacking [Re: Hobie Dave] #612
07/13/01 01:33 PM
07/13/01 01:33 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I find that as the crew makes that flying leap they are often pulling the jib in for the other tack. Have them uncleet, hold onto they jib line closest to them and then move across the tramp.<br><br>

Re: Tacking #613
07/15/01 09:05 PM
07/15/01 09:05 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tacking a Hobbie is like tacking a raft at times. I suggest you try sailing the boat around slower, and release your jib sheet and hold it, to allow the jib to blow the bows around.
<br> Regards, Martin<br><br>

Attached Files
738- (39 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 471 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022