01/01/06 06:57 PM
01/01/06 06:57 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Wouter, send me your boat and I'll sail it!

It's all about the Cupcakes and Hamiltons!

http://www.break.com/index/snlnarnia.html

Blade F16
--Advertisement--
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: Timbo] #61856
01/02/06 05:35 PM
01/02/06 05:35 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

I announced earlier how I am a F16 wannabe. I am starting to consider the logistics of heading to the Tradewinds to get some exposure to these fantastic cats. If anything, I would hope to be able to volunteer to be on the RC and pull a few marks.
I saw it suggested that Matt M would be there although he hasn't confirmed it himself. Perhaps if I said I would be at the Tradewinds he could be convinced to show up with his order book?
Right now, I am amazing myself with how long it takes to travel diagonally across this continent. Once that is out of the way, does anyone have a feeling for how booked up Gilberts is?

So......
Matt, are you going to be there?
Rick, do you need a volunteer for the R/C?
Is the F16 group going to make this a worthwhile trip?
Is there room at Gilberts still?

Of course, I am going to have to see if I can get the time off. Thats never a problem, is it?

Bocbcat

Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: bobcat] #61857
01/02/06 07:22 PM
01/02/06 07:22 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline OP
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
F16 wannabe. . . heading to the Tradewinds to get some exposure to these fantastic cats. . . . I saw it suggested that Matt M would be there although he hasn't confirmed it himself.

So......
Matt, are you going to be there?

Is the F16 group going to make this a worthwhile trip?
Is there room at Gilberts still?
Bocbcat

Matt's really gonna have to answer for himself, although common understanding is that he will be there.
As to Gilbert's Give them a call. There's also Amy Slate's Amoray Dive resort which is couple doors down, Nice rooms, cheap by comparison.
Don't give up. There are always rooms.
You can Ask Rick if he know of any spares, too. Somebody's usually willing to split costs and defray the regatta expenses. I'd whine about Diesel prices here but you're flying in so I'll shutup while I have small dignity left.
Worse case Scenario, ya might can bunk with us somehow.
My room, but I'll have to ask the guys. TEAM SEACATS has a Family Suite, We're not letting anyone stay home for lack of a roof over his head. We'll bring you a cot or something. Hammock on the Screen porch, who knows. You don't want to sleep with Allan, he snores worse than the all time champion snorer of the world.
(I got fixed, much to the relief of campers worldwide)
I only know Seth of the F-16 bunch, he's coolio, Matt from last year and Robi from the Blade 1st year here.
I'm sailing a Blade first time as another prospective buyer, The F-18 guys are the old Florida I-20 Fleet, they'll all be at the Tiki Bar before they hoist their sticks.
So join in, we're gonnna have the boats set up Friday for tests and tuning, good time to talk someone into a rideshare.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: bobcat] #61858
01/02/06 08:24 PM
01/02/06 08:24 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Bobcat,

I think Ricks own Taipan 4.9 is without a crew at this time. Rick used to be willing to charter this boat out. Maybe you can put yourself on a Taipan and join in the racing. Ask Rick at Rick@catsailor.com

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: Wouter] #61859
01/02/06 09:12 PM
01/02/06 09:12 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline OP
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
Anything to make the class . . .
Good Thought Wouter.
Has Any one Asked Rick about where the F-16's will be?
Sounds like we need another thread . . .

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: Cary Palmer] #61860
01/02/06 09:41 PM
01/02/06 09:41 PM
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

Cary thanx for the reply. Good info on alternative rooming. I really would like a chance to meet some of the folks on the forums.
About Rick's Taipan, I believe he is PRO and therefore not competing. About me chartering it, I feel a little inadequate. I am a prairie lake sailor who has never seen a catamaran sailed under spinnaker. I really would love some on the water time though.
So far I've figured out that my frequent flyer miles aren't going to get me there. All the reward seats are gone. But the wife is really quite supportive and views the cost as beneficial to my Blade experience.

Anyone looking to share a room with semi-frozen Canuck (non-snoring)?

Last edited by bobcat; 01/02/06 09:45 PM.
SpinCats: Read at own risk . . . [Re: bobcat] #61861
01/02/06 10:05 PM
01/02/06 10:05 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline OP
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
[color:"red"] DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MEANT TO BE FUNNY! IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED, STOP READING NOW! [/color]

SpinCats
Sailing a spinnaker is a lot like having Sex with a woman.
First it takes a while to get up the nerve to do it.
Once you finally do it you never want to stop.
It generally works better and is much more satisfying if you have two people enjoying the ride.
Makes talking about it afterward so much more fulfilling too.
It has to be finessed to get the most enjoyment out of it.
If you get all overexcited in a hurry there's a good chance you can tear her dress.
Oh and if you want to keep getting the most out of your baby, you have to buy her a new dress every year.
It is a delicate marriage of give and take, playing with the sheets to experience the maximum sensual essence of the experience.
When flying a hull downwind under the kite, you can keep it up longer than you ever dreamed of.
Once you finally prove yourself in this fashion, you won't ever want to go back to doing it by yourself again.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: SpinCats: Read at own risk . . . [Re: Cary Palmer] #61862
01/02/06 10:21 PM
01/02/06 10:21 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Jesus Cary, knock it off! You are giving me a woody! I'll never be able to go down...wind again without thinking about that.

Blade F16
Re: SpinCats: Read at own risk . . . [Re: Timbo] #61863
01/02/06 10:39 PM
01/02/06 10:39 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline OP
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
OK Tim you read it. I warned you . . . .

I'm trying to get the non spin guy a taste of what it's like. I look at my nice sweet Hobie 16 on the Dock and say, Hmmm, no spin why bother?
All your fault, you sold me my first SpinCat.
Sailing's never been the same since.
We were out New years Eve Race, blowing 15+, with some hardline gusts. Had Dave Mosley's new GF crewing , Dave is trying to polish Allan B's technique/rhythm for the Tradewinds. Girl was fearless, gotta give her credit. Flew a hull downwind for about 3 miles on a kite run, Laying it over hard, washing the tops of the daggers in the puffs, trying to turn down when most of the boards are out of the water, praying for the wind to back off just enough for control and a little rudder bite.
They don't make an adventure ride at Disney that compares, everything rests on you and a little luck.
Absolutely fabulous!
We did a 25 mile loop on the lake, I shortcutted one island, my crew was cold and wet and I looked up at Kirsten & Bill Croughwell laid over flat as the wind compressed over the next island, then they were swimming, and decided I'd had enough fun, took a new excited catsailer back to the dock. Girl turned to us and asked if it was always like this?
We wish!
SpinCat, that's me. Where the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death, and all at a very misleading 22 knots.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: bobcat] #61864
01/03/06 08:19 AM
01/03/06 08:19 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Bobcat,

If you do get down there be sure to beg, bride or blackmail either Seth, Chuck or Matt into taking you along for a 30 min demo.

You learn SOOO much from sailing only a short time with an experienced F16 crew. It will be equal to spending about 1 to 2 years studying various tuning/trimming guides and experimenting on your own.

After such a demo sail you know what to look for, how it must look like and what the end goal should be. It will make learning from the various tuning guides ALOT easier.

Especially since you are living so far North you will have rarely contact with other F16 sailors, as in face to face contact, and that will make your learning curve on these boats harder to climb.

So indeed, be sure to get the full 30 min demo work over (including spi hoists and drops and sailing under spi) ; that will make the trip worth while by itself even.

Best advice I can give you.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: SpinCats: Read at own risk . . . [Re: Cary Palmer] #61865
01/03/06 08:13 PM
01/03/06 08:13 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Cary, now I understand where you came up with the inspiration for your narative on down wind kite sailing: Dave's Girlfriend! She must be HOT! Hey, what ever it takes. Any pictures...of her?

Blade F16
Re: SpinCats: Read at own risk . . . [Re: Timbo] #61866
01/03/06 09:48 PM
01/03/06 09:48 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline OP
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary, now I understand where you came up with the inspiration for your narative on down wind kite sailing: Any pictures...of her?

Actually, she was cute if ya like career nurses, I'm married to one cuter, so there's no big whoop.
Was sitting out there on the wire double trapped, having my best sailing day of my catsailing life, Looking at the leeward board and rudder out of the water just skipping over the wavetops, driving on the side of the hull only, thinking,
Where the heck is the darn Photographer . . . .

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: Wouter] #61867
01/03/06 10:13 PM
01/03/06 10:13 PM
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

Thanks Wouter, that is great advice. I have acted on it and have booked airfare and car rental. I emailed Rick about my helping with the race committee but haven't received an answer. I guess if the F16 group is one short of a fleet I could be talked into being the dfl guy (assuming of course that Rick is willing to charter his taipan)

PS I will be bringing my camera and a measuring tape.

Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: bobcat] #61868
01/04/06 06:29 AM
01/04/06 06:29 AM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline OP
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
Thanks Wouter, that is great advice. I have acted on it and have booked airfare and car rental. If the F16 group is one short of a fleet I could be talked into being the dfl guy (assuming of course that Rick is willing to charter his taipan)

PS I will be bringing my camera and a measuring tape.

There's still hope Obi-Wan.
Bill Croughwell's Daughter's BF is looking for a ride, would give you crew to run the kite if ya can convince Rick on the 4.9 lease. If Memory serves me right his boat has a RFHooter instead of a Snuffer Kite, much easier to learn with.
I know about the Camera, but what's the Measuring tape for?
Building a Garage for the boat, or Trying to see if you can get one of those Blades tucked up under your seat for the plane ride back?
Mebbe Tim Could work out a deal with Delta . . . If you just paid weight, shipping would not be too bad. Just how to stuff a couple 16 foot hulls into the cargo hold on a 747.

What day you gonna get there? Get there Friday and you can help setup, good way to learn about the boat and network yourself a test ride.
I think after all that distance without a boat I'd be at the bar Friday night trying to convince some Saturday sailor they were glad they arranged for backup crew

Hey wakeup, and have another JaegerBomb, no sleeping at the Tiki Bar!!

Last edited by zuhl; 01/04/06 06:36 AM.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: Cary Palmer] #61869
01/04/06 11:36 AM
01/04/06 11:36 AM
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

I'm making a real go of it. I am arriving Wednesday PM.
I have already volunteered myself to pull anchors for Rick but I guess we can contemplate winging it once I get there.
I know if 4 F16's register that there will be a lot of pressure to get a fifth on the course.

The measuring tape thing was a hint at my desire to check other peoples set-ups...Mast rake, spinnaker sheet length, etc.

Of course I'll be in the bar. I may even wear my wetsuit to show how keen I am. I sent an email to Matt but am still awaiting a reply on his status.

Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: bobcat] #61870
01/04/06 01:52 PM
01/04/06 01:52 PM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
My boats just sitting right now and I'd be happy to lend it to someone for Tradewinds to get to that magic number. Oh, you'll have to pick it up and get it there though...according to mapquest, it's only 3,031 miles.

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 2006 [Re: Wouter] #61871
01/04/06 03:45 PM
01/04/06 03:45 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Source :

http://www.catsailor.com/registrati...PSESSID=edbc6a69ce2d6fea4171e05c6290fadc

Jennifer Lindsay is now registered with an A-cat (together with Bret Moss) so she will not be on her Taipan at the Tradewinds regatta.

Still no news from the other guys like Hollis, Matt and the various Tampa sailors or Jeffrey. H16's have just made class. This is all getting risky. If we are not careful then you'll be in the last start fleet and on the smallest course.

Maybe it will help if some of you US sailors start beating about the bush yourselfs. This will be the last try I'll give and from now on you guys are on your own. I'll be spending enough time on my own area this year.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: bobcat] #61872
01/04/06 05:22 PM
01/04/06 05:22 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline OP
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
Bruce Barss sez:
I am arriving Wednesday PM. . . .Of course I'll be in the bar, wearing my wetsuit.

Let's see, Sweaty guy with Canadian accent, dressed like a seal, sleeping it off in the floor of the Tiki Bar since Wednesday, holding a measuring stick.
Do you have any distinguishing characteristics so that we might be able to recognize you amongst all the other sweaty hungover Canadian seals sleeping at the Tiki Bar?
It IS Gilbert's you know. . .

Glad you're coming Bruce. Long way for a sample, hope we get you on a boat. I'm getting pumped, so is the rest of the Seacats Team. We're c-c-c-cold and we don't live in c-c-c-c-Canada.
Nothing like a good winter Keys trip to keep the sailing spirit alive. A little Margarita, a little Rum Runner, a litle more Rum Runner, and a real Colada to light your fires in the morning instead of this pathetic excuse for coffee they sell everywhere in the world north of Miami.
I finally get to experience the Blade, something I've been dreaming about since I first got bit by the F-16 bug last year.
Gonna be a HOOT!!!

Last edited by zuhl; 01/04/06 05:37 PM.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: Cary Palmer] #61873
01/07/06 10:32 PM
01/07/06 10:32 PM
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

Just because you mentioned Rum Runner I will do it. I hope to charter Ricks Taipan, but you need dig out this BF you mentioned. Perhaps a name, an email addy, a phone number?

Bruce

Re: F-16's and tradewinds regatta ; Jan 13 - 15 20 [Re: bobcat] #61874
01/08/06 08:50 AM
01/08/06 08:50 AM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline OP
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
E-mailed yourself and Bill last night to hook you up.
He was still looking for a ride at the NYD race, and there's nothing else happening but Tradewinds right now.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 543 guests, and 74 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022