12/10/05 05:59 AM
12/10/05 05:59 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
It is winter time and that means that the design teams of all catamaran builders are busy working on new projects.

One of the newest is the Cirrus Evolution design.

[Linked Image]

http://www.wildthing.nl/importeur/energy.html

The accompanying text reads (translated) :

Evolution

This youngest offspring of the CIRRUS-product range was designed to beat all catamarans of 18 foot length and less.
This racemonster is especially suited to sailors who like to take up this challenge in the open class or F16 class.
The lightweight CIRRUS EVOLUTION (137 kg) is build with the most mondern material called HEREX.
The properties of HEREX are : Lightweight, stiff and durable.
This gives the CIRRUS EVOLUTION, together with its special hullshape, super fast performance.

Both the CIRRUS F18 as the EVOLUTION are

Specs :

Evolution Basic price € 14.450, - (Euro's)

5.10 mtr - Length
2.55 mtr - Width
137 kg - Weight
8.50 mtr - mast length
37.15 m² - total sailarea incl spinnaker.

Vinylester / Sandwich HEREX - Hull material
Carbon/Glassfibre/Epoxy - boards
Pentex mainsail (fibrefoam battens)
Pentex fully battened jib
Nylon spinnaker
Selftacking spinnaker
Twin trapeze, adjustable
Trampoline; coloured and tensioned between two steel cables on the sides
Carbon telescopic joystick (tiller extension)
mainsheet system ; Harken 1:7 purchase
Wildthing snuffer system

Options :

Rudders and.or boards 100 % carbon fibre

The Evolution Texel rating = 105 (Our F16 Texel rating = 102)
The Evolution ISAF rating = 104 (our F16 ISAF rating = 1.01 if the ISAF comittee ever comes round to correcting their current 1.02 quote)

Sadly the Evolution is not a fully compliant Formula 16 boat. It is too long (by 0.1 mtr), too wide (by 0.05 mtr, and it has too much sail area (by 0.95 sq. mtr. almost 1 sq. mtr.)

But due to its other specifications (mostly overall weight) its performance estimate by virtue of the TEXEL/ISAF ratings is slightly less than that of the F16's.

This means that under the Formula 16 rule 6.1, the grandfather claus, that this design can indeed step up to the challenge as a grandfathered boat. Just as the Hobie FX-one, Inter-17 and Spitfire can (and in some cases have done so already !)

So the Evolution can not become part of the full compliant fleet of F16, but is much welcomed to any F16 event short of a Worlds (if we have one) or any continental. We are pretty much only running "bring-what-you-got-and-race-us-on-elapsed-time" events.

Wouter

Attached Files
Last edited by Wouter; 12/10/05 06:14 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
--Advertisement--
Re: We, as F16's, have been challenged ! [Re: Wouter] #62616
12/10/05 04:56 PM
12/10/05 04:56 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wouter,
Is this something like amnesty? I thought boats were grandfathered in if they were older boats. How can you "grandfather" in a brand new class of boat?

Grandfathering [Re: Mary] #62617
12/10/05 09:12 PM
12/10/05 09:12 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline
old hand
David Parker  Offline
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
Mary, I wondered the same thing. Wouter conveniently included the rule number so a visit to the F16 website revealed these requirements. Not exactly "grandfathering" in the traditional sense but the result is the same.

6.1 Grandfathering of boats into the Open Formula 16 class

6.1 The head of a local Formula 16 class organisation may give dispensation (called grandfathering) to a particular design or class and allow them to become part of the Open Formula 16 class under the following conditions.

6.1.1 The design may not have hulls longer than 5,30 mtr.(17ft 4 inch.)

6.1.2 The design must have a rated jib sail area which is less than 4,25 sq.mtr. and more than 2,75 sq. mtr. (this rule does not apply to single handed setups)

6.1.3 Both the SCHRS (ISAF) and Texel rating of the design must be equal to or "slower" than the rating assigned to the Formula 16 class.

6.1.4 When grandfathered, the designs are allowed to race against fully compliant Formula 16 designs in declared "Open Formula 16" races.

Re: Grandfathering [Re: David Parker] #62618
12/11/05 02:22 AM
12/11/05 02:22 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is that a typo? Is this about the Formula 16 class or the Formula 17 class? Why not just include all boats of whatever length if their rating is slower than that of a Formula 16?

Re: Grandfathering [Re: Mary] #62619
12/11/05 04:53 AM
12/11/05 04:53 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...

Is that a typo? Is this about the Formula 16 class or the Formula 17 class? Why not just include all boats of whatever length if their rating is slower than that of a Formula 16?

Nope that is correct Mary; The F16's will let any boat that rates slower or equal to the F16 into the class as long as it's less than 5.30m - I.e the Inter 17 EU fits in.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Grandfathering [Re: scooby_simon] #62620
12/11/05 05:42 AM
12/11/05 05:42 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Then why is it called a Formula "16" class? I guess I'm not understanding something about the formula. Sorry.:p

Re: Grandfathering [Re: Mary] #62621
12/11/05 05:55 AM
12/11/05 05:55 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just read the class rules and it says the length limit is 5 meters (16.4 feet). So now you are saying that I can build a boat that is 17 feet 4 inches long and get it accepted as an F16 as long as it doesn't go too fast?

Feels like a slippery slope.

Re: Grandfathering [Re: Mary] #62622
12/11/05 06:35 AM
12/11/05 06:35 AM
Oxford, UK
pdwarren Offline
addict
pdwarren  Offline
addict

Oxford, UK
I just read the class rules and it says the length limit is 5 meters (16.4 feet). So now you are saying that I can build a boat that is 17 feet 4 inches long and get it accepted as an F16 as long as it doesn't go too fast?

Feels like a slippery slope.

It's not quite that bad, but I agree there is a risk. 6.1 states that this is "at the discretion of the head of a local F16 organisation". So, it's not guaranteed that you get to race. Further, the races are to be described as "Open F16", rather than just "F16". We would do well to keep this distinction clear.

I think it is very useful to have this rule in order to help get numbers whilst establishing the class, but we don't want to be in the situation where any boat with a rating of 1.01 or slower can just turn up.

We might consider requesting that Cirrus update their description to say "Open F16 races" rather than "F16 class", in order to make it clear that this is not fully F16 compliant.

For information, the successful F16 vs FX-1 meet at Datchet last year didn't need the grandfathering clause. We had a single start, combined results, but separate prizes. So, all the fun of racing comparable boats on the water, but no need to confuse the definition of what is F16 and what isn't.

Paul

Last edited by pdwarren; 12/11/05 06:55 AM.
Re: Grandfathering [Re: pdwarren] #62623
12/11/05 06:59 AM
12/11/05 06:59 AM
Essex, UK
Jalani Offline
veteran
Jalani  Offline
veteran

Essex, UK
I'd always thought that the purpose of 'grandfathering' was to allow EXISTING boats to continue 'in class'. In the case of the F16 class this would obviously mean allowing certain existing non F16-compliant boats to be raced alongside new, fully compliant F16s.

I had not anticipated Wouter's interpretation of the 6.1 rule. I do not actually see how allowing NEW non-compliant F16s to race as F16s can possibly benefit the class. In fact, intuitively I would have thought it counter-productive. If they can race anyway, why would anyone (especially the larger manufacturers) bother to build to the F16 class rules?

John Alani
Re: Grandfathering [Re: Jalani] #62624
12/11/05 08:45 AM
12/11/05 08:45 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I had not anticipated Wouter's interpretation of the 6.1 rule. I do not actually see how allowing NEW non-compliant F16s to race as F16s can possibly benefit the class. In fact, intuitively I would have thought it counter-productive.

Without giving away the secrets I can assure everybody that the current use of the Grandfather clause is helping the F16 class very much.

Think : Datchet (UK) okt 2005 after the combined FX-one, F16 event; two new boat sails to Datchet boys, both buying full compliant F16's

Think : New G-cat 5.0 of two years ago being transformed into a full complaint F16 by its designer and vectorworks marine

Think : Cirrus Energy converging to much closer specs to F16 by virtue of the new Evolution. The fact that they mention the F16 class in their Evolution talk-up says something I think.

Think : The best way to show the strong points of our class is in direct comparison on the water. Think Datchet UK again.

Think : South African F16 class; this class is entirely build on grandfathered boats because it is so hard to get full compliant f16's in.

And so on and so on.

The grandfather clause is proving to be one of the more important tools that the F16 class has to grow the class and eventually sell more full compliant F16's = growing the class in the full compliant direction.

Besides what are we all afraid of ? The grandfather clause assured that no other design has an advantage over full compliant F16's so allow the grandfathered boats in is NEVER unfair to owners of full compliant boats !

If anything it grows participation at events that we enjoy ourselfs as well.

No please, lets the clause be as is and let me do my thing. Up till now it has always resulted in a growing class and attracting more builders to our full compliant setup. Something we all appreciate.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Grandfathering [Re: pdwarren] #62625
12/11/05 08:52 AM
12/11/05 08:52 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

The grandfather status or each design is also yearly reviewed and so as soon as an unfair advantage is discovered we can correct the situation by not renewing the grandfather status.

This has already happened once and what an effect it did have. Once a builder got annoyed and pretty much assured us that he would set up a rival class and "get us". In the end; he only "got himself" and the builder is now thinking to get back into the F16 class.

Guys, this grandfather clause is giving us as the Formula 16 class a leverage with parties that we would otherwise not have. All by the virtue of the customers really appreciating the fact that they can participate into the F16 setup.

I would seriously hate to loose this.

The grandfather clause is doing us alot more good then it ever can do harm. However I can not explain fully without losing its advantages.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Grandfathering [Re: Mary] #62626
12/11/05 08:56 AM
12/11/05 08:56 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

No Mary we are not saying that.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Grandfathering [Re: Wouter] #62627
12/11/05 09:16 AM
12/11/05 09:16 AM
Essex, UK
Jalani Offline
veteran
Jalani  Offline
veteran

Essex, UK
I can't see it Wouter. If it is so great to be part of F16, why didn't Cirrus build an F16? No, instead they built a boat that's close enough to be ALLOWED to sail with F16s. If there were no 'grandfather' rule that allowed NEW boats to 'measure' in, Cirrus would have had to decide whether F16 was attractive enough for them to build to the box rule.
As it is, a purchaser of an Evolution can now hedge their bets by purchasing from a builder with a proven track record, sail 'Open F16' or OD if it takes off. If this option weren't available that purchaser might have gone and bought a Blade, or a Stealth, or something else completely.

I don't see how it does us any good at all to say "OK, you can play with us" and then turn round and say "Oh, you're too quick, you keep winning, we don't want to play with you anymore". If we've got a set of rules that are in the public domain, and someone wants to build or buy a boat to sail F16 then IT SHOULD MEASURE to the Class rules.

ONLY existing designs at the time of the adoption of the rules should be elegible for 'grandfather' status.

Just my 2 pence worth.........

PS. What's this in the corner of the Evolution pic? :

[Linked Image]

Attached Files
63082-unknown16 copy.jpg (54 downloads)

John Alani
Re: Grandfathering [Re: Jalani] #62628
12/11/05 09:36 AM
12/11/05 09:36 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I'm not getting into details. So lets agree to differ in opinion. Suffices to say that in reality it doesn't seem the work the way you describe. The net effect is slightly different and that effect is beneficial to us.

I don't see how it does us any good at all to say "OK, you can play with us" and then turn round and say "Oh, you're too quick, you keep winning, we don't want to play with you anymore".

And that is also not the way it is operated. Sorry.

It is a design based rule, not a crew based rule.

If we've got a set of rules that are in the public domain, and someone wants to build or buy a boat to sail F16 then IT SHOULD MEASURE to the Class rules.

Please everyone, take time to read the F16 class rules and to fully understand them.

It will save us all (and me in particulary) alot of time by not going on wild goose chases

Hints :

Rule 5.1.1

The Formula 16 authority may give dispensations to boats that do not fully comply with the Formula 16 rules. These dispensations are limited in duration and are reviewed yearly. Boats that are dispensated do not become part of the Formula 16 class but of the Open Formula 16 class instead.

Rule 5.1.2

The Foundation boats Taipan 4.9 (with F16 spi) and Stealth (R) have the special status of "Formula 16 foundation boats"; meaning that, despite the fact that they are dispensated for their non compliance, they have become part of the (closed) Formula 16 class. Their status is permanent; althought it is lost when the boat in question is no longer compliant with their confirmed (class) setup as fixed on the date 1 januari 2002.

Therefor a Grandfathered designs CAN NEVER BECOME AN F16.

Some of us are also mistaken "grandfather" status with "Foundation boat" status. Grandfathering is nothing more then allowing certain other makes in our start fleet (when we get those) and enjoy a combined score list as was done at the UK Datchet event. Nobody can't argue that that Datchet event wasn't a succes !

Open F16 class is nothing more then a rule allowing the F16 to eb flexible with start fleet and sharing courses/scoring with boats of other makes. The F16 class is completely reserved for full compliant boats and the foundation boats.

ONLY existing designs at the time of the adoption of the rules should be elegible for 'grandfather' status.

Those are the foundation boats.

Grandfathering is something else. At least it is in our F16 rule set.

PS. What's this in the corner of the Evolution pic? :

That is the mainsail of the SL16 youth boat, also alligible for grandfather status.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Grandfathering [Re: Wouter] #62629
12/11/05 09:49 AM
12/11/05 09:49 AM
Essex, UK
Jalani Offline
veteran
Jalani  Offline
veteran

Essex, UK
Then 'grandfather' is the wrong word for this type of status.....

'Associate' would be both more accurate and apt.

John Alani
Re: Grandfathering [Re: Jalani] #62630
12/11/05 01:27 PM
12/11/05 01:27 PM
Oxford, UK
pdwarren Offline
addict
pdwarren  Offline
addict

Oxford, UK
Then 'grandfather' is the wrong word for this type of status.....

Agreed. I'm uneasy about boats designed after the creation of F16 taking advantage of the grandfather clause, but I think the big concern for the class is that such Open F16 boats should not pass themselves off as true F16 designs. Unlike the other grandfathered boats, the makers of the Evolution appear to be making the F16 "conformance" a selling point.

If we are to build the class, we need people to buy true F16 designs, so buyers need to be clear what they're getting.

Paul

Re: We, as F16's, have been challenged ! [Re: Wouter] #62631
12/11/05 02:05 PM
12/11/05 02:05 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Why would anyone buy a brand new boat that appears to be slower than the current F16's to race in the F16 class?

No Wouter, this boat is destine to sail either OD or hanidcap.

It is a very nice looking boat though too bad they couldn't make it a true F16 or F18.

Dave

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Grandfathering [Re: Wouter] #62632
12/11/05 02:25 PM
12/11/05 02:25 PM
Essex, UK
Jalani Offline
veteran
Jalani  Offline
veteran

Essex, UK
I'm sorry Wouter, I really can't let this go.

6.1 The head of a local Formula 16 class organisation may give dispensation (called grandfathering) to a particular design or class and allow them to become part of the Open Formula 16 class under the following conditions.

I'm particularly unhappy that just one individual - 'the local head' is able to 'grandfather' a whole class. Rule 6.1 as written is a bad rule. I believe that the intention of the rule as outlined by you is misguided. You can't build a class by just allowing all and sundry to join in. We're either the F16 class and everyone knows what that is, or we're the Open F16 class and noone has any idea what boat is in and what isn't without a ruling from 'the local head'.

I also don't see the introduction of a new boat from a recognised Formula boat builder that doesn't comply with the Formula 16 rules but is very close to them as something to be pleased about. You have to ask "why didn't they build a fully compliant F16, just as they have one of the recognised F18 designs in their stable?"

Do Cirrus not believe in the value of the F16 class? I suspect not. That is worrying. Rather than welcoming such a boat into racing with us we should be seeking to push the F16 compliant boats ONLY. Therefore I believe that we should only allow pre-existing boats at the time of the inception of the F16 rules to be 'grandfathered' as opposed to the 'foundation' boats which will always be part of the class.

In fact I would go as far as to say that the door on 'grandfathering' other classes should now be closed. Rule 6.1 should be scrapped. I still believe that it does nothing to further the (genuine) growth of the class.

This is the official F16 forum, so can we please have a sensible debate on this subject, Wouter?

John Alani
Re: Grandfathering [Re: Jalani] #62633
12/11/05 05:39 PM
12/11/05 05:39 PM
Oxford, UK
pdwarren Offline
addict
pdwarren  Offline
addict

Oxford, UK

I also don't see the introduction of a new boat from a recognised Formula boat builder that doesn't comply with the Formula 16 rules but is very close to them as something to be pleased about. You have to ask "why didn't they build a fully compliant F16, just as they have one of the recognised F18 designs in their stable?"

I know very little of Cirrus, but I would speculate that the reason they didn't build a fully compliant F16 is the same reason that the FX-1 is overweight - re-use of components and techniques from the bigger-selling F18s.

Do Cirrus not believe in the value of the F16 class?

The F16 class certainly isn't well established, but it seems that they're trying to have their cake and eat it using the "Open F16" rules. They certainly see some value in claiming conformance on their web page.

In fact I would go as far as to say that the door on 'grandfathering' other classes should now be closed. Rule 6.1 should be scrapped. I still believe that it does nothing to further the (genuine) growth of the class.

Yes - as I said before, the successful Datchet event didn't actually need or use the grandfather clause.

Paul

Re: Grandfathering [Re: pdwarren] #62634
12/11/05 06:40 PM
12/11/05 06:40 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
Do the manufacturers of the Cirrus even "claim” this cat to be an F16?? Or have they just manufactured a “different” cat for commercial reasons? If they have made this cat for purely commercial reasons without consciously intending it to fit within the F16 formula then all of this is just subjective debate by F16 interested parties.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022