Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: scooby_simon] #66828
02/19/06 06:33 PM
02/19/06 06:33 PM
Israel, Sdot Yam
Opher Offline
Opher  Offline

Israel, Sdot Yam
If Iran and Hammas say they will not allow Israel to exist, what do you think it's going to come to?

Both Hammas and Iran are IMHO just symptoms of the great clash arising between the Western and Muslim cultures, as are the riots against Danish caricatures (If we Israelis demonstrated against every anti-Semitic caricature in an Arab newspaper we'd never have time for sailing ) and the riots in France a few months ago.
While the U.S. has finally realized the strategic danger and taken action, most of Europe is still reluctant to admit a problem exists, and must be tackled seriously. This is not to say that only a military solution exists, quite the contrary, only to point out that sticking ones head in the sand will probably not work.
As for Hammas, whilst definitely a setback for peace prospects in our volatile neighborhood, I don't believe anyone knows where we're going so early in the game. Optimistically, they may turn out to be better situated, coming from extreme ideology, to take the painful steps required for peace - After all, two of our tougher leaders, Begin and Sharon, gave up more than others. More realistically, we’ll continue battling it out militarily, economically and politically for a few more rounds .
Iran is a significantly more dangerous threat, regionally and globally. Once an advanced, almost Western country, they now lead the radical Muslim world in its fight against much that we hold dear - freedom, equality, and democracy. Armed with nuclear weapons and the will to use them, and joined by radical Muslims the world over, Iran endangers much more than Israel and Middle East stability.
Most Israelis are closely following the growing (albeit slowly) international efforts to stop Iran, hopefully before we reach a nuclear standoff, which would probably not end as peacefully as the cold war did.

Opher
Nacra F20C ISR1
F18 Cirrus ISR2
Sdot Yam, ISRAEL
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Opher] #66829
02/19/06 07:25 PM
02/19/06 07:25 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Opher, good to hear from someone actually living there! Were those Inter 20 pictures posted a couple months back yours? It looked like a nice place to sail.

As for the sailors, this thread was initialy titled Politics, so if you only want to talk about sailing, go to another thread! We are here to talk politics.

So, what's up with New Zealand these days anyways??? Can an American still get a beer there or do they hate us too?

http://funnyjunk.com/pages/world.htm

Last edited by Timbo; 02/19/06 07:26 PM.

Blade F16
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Opher] #66830
02/19/06 07:59 PM
02/19/06 07:59 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

would probably not end as peacefully as the cold war did.

Shudder!

btw- Where do you folks get your gas? Doin' anything special with solar or wind power?

I'm guessing nuclear power is out: too big a target, to politically inflammatory.

Last edited by Tikipete; 02/19/06 08:01 PM.
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: fin.] #66831
02/19/06 11:30 PM
02/19/06 11:30 PM
Tiger Offline
journeyman
Tiger  Offline
journeyman

Nonsense! I'll have to see irrefutable proof before I believe that!

Pete: search and you will find.
US was helping Iraq in the eighties because of their war against Iran. The famous pic of Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam...

Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Tiger] #66832
02/20/06 08:46 AM
02/20/06 08:46 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
And we were supporting Osama Bin Laden and the Afgan Army when Russia was invading.

The current problem started right after the first Gulf War, after we drove the Iraqi Army out of Kuwait, we stayed there and in Saudi Arabia. This upset Osama and his boys, he wanted the US Infidels OUT of HIS country, OFF his Holy Land. We wouldn't leave, so the Muslim Extremeists, (with financial support from Saudi Patriots) started blowing our stuff up. The same applies right now in Iraq. The Insurgents want the Infidels OUT of their country.

Like Colin Powel said, "You can win the war, but it will be very difficult to win the peace."

Blade F16
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Tiger] #66833
02/20/06 09:22 AM
02/20/06 09:22 AM
Toronto, Ontario
pitchpoledave Offline
old hand
pitchpoledave  Offline
old hand

Toronto, Ontario
Yes its true. In fact, Sadam asked the US if it was ok to invade Kuwait and he got the nod that it was ok..

Re: This punishes the poor [Re: pitchpoledave] #66834
02/20/06 10:25 AM
02/20/06 10:25 AM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

The U.S. is not responsible for Iraq gasing the Kurds or invading Kuwait. Your saying it (collectively) doesn't make it so.

I'm still waiting for proof to the contrary.

Re: This punishes the poor [Re: fin.] #66835
02/20/06 11:19 AM
02/20/06 11:19 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Pete, a few comments.

I couldn't care less if we are surpassed by India and China; then maybe everyone would be mad at them.

Today, after the fall of the Soviet union, the US is _the_ superpower of the world. You are a known quantity and are reasonably predictable. I much prefer status quo than having China, India or others rise to be superpowers while you falter (or even fall). If you dont stop spending your money on adventures abroad, you will fall, your economy is not that strong. Go to a hardware store (or any store) and check where things are buildt, and look at your trade balance. I would be very concerned about China and India. Not military wise (yet), but economicaly.
Being mad at the chineese dont help much, they dont have freedom of speech. You do, for the time being (that is ment as a compliment).

You can't really believe our military response has been as harsh as it could have been!

I was not really thinking about your military actions in Iraq when I wrote that. I was thinking more on keeping prisoners without allowing them their rights or putting them on trial. Or worse, torturing them or sending them to torture under other regimes that endorse torture. But yes, your actions in Iraq has not exactly been benign. Use of WP, bad intelligence leading to smart-bombing of civilians, troops getting really jumpy and firing too soon. Lots of mistakes done due to not being prepared for what to do after the fall of Saddam. I guess the Pentagon strategist now have learnt what can happen when you invade a country with
the "swarm" strategy and dont take control over the areas you have cleaned. I dont see much you can do now in Iraq, military wise, that you have not already done? Keeping to the Geneva convension is a good thing after all.

If you think everybody hates the US, that is not true. You have lots of friends both as a nation and as a people. If I did not like you, why would I stay on this US dominated forum and even visit the US from time to time? But as friends, you must be able to hear that we dont agree or even oppose your policies. I think your current administrations foreign policy is the reason you are feeling victimized today. You had the worlds sympaties after 911, but all the scandals since.. I remember the end of the cold war with Reagan, I remember Bush Sr. and Clinton, none of them managed to break as many ties as Bush Jr's administration has.

Saddam gassed kurdi villages in the 80's. Nobody said you in the US was responsible for that. At the same time, the US supplied Saddam with weapons and supported him in the war against Iran.
Gas (or NBC) is a weapon all armed forces hope to not meet on the battlefield, but train rigorously for. I dont think gas is outlawed (but WP is).

The M-48 was in service here in Norway til 92, now replaced by Leopard I and II's. Do you still remember how to recognize the T-51's and T-72's?

Timbo: The danger of "them" outbreeding is under public debate here. With a population of 4.5mill, it doesn't really take that much. Fortunately, many of "them" integrate and start thinking as norwegians. It's the ones who can not leave the old behind, build fanatic sects etc. we must do something about. Just look at the british bombings done by 2nd generation immigrants.
God forbid _anybody_ start flinging nukes about, even the israelis!

Opher: Good to hear a voice of sanity from Israel. The news coverage we get up here is quite pro-palestinian, but I think you are dead-right on all your points.

Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #66836
02/20/06 12:58 PM
02/20/06 12:58 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Rolf, we can "debate" it all day, but what can we do to STOP it? There is no stopping it, unless you live in China and are limited to a single child.

The fact is that immediately after 9-11 there was NO public outrage expressed by our own Muslim population. I think alot of them were secretly thinking "Good, it's about time..."

When push comes to shove, who's side do you think they will be on? Take a look at the riots in France.

Here's a hint, they will be on which ever side is winning. If they won't stand up and fight for their own countries, do you really think they will fight for yours? That's not their "culture". They will however, continue to out-breed the rest of us. Pick up a copy of "Death of the West." it's very interesting reading.

Blade F16
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Timbo] #66837
02/20/06 01:18 PM
02/20/06 01:18 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
I'll see if I find a copy Timbo.

One thing that has been suggested (not here, but in Italy I think), is that they (where they are muslims), dont get the benefits we get when we have children. Problem is, that is discrimination..

Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #66838
02/20/06 01:28 PM
02/20/06 01:28 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

Rolf:

It is always good to hear rational discourse.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm just not concerned with China and India. When they were very poor, their problems were relatively straight forward. As they become wealthier and more powerful, they will find the road less clear, and filled with potholes!

There is one school of thought, economically, that considers trading increasingly less valuable U.S. dollars for hard goods a very good deal. Afterall, if the U.S. falls into oblivion and you have a trove of green backs, whatta ya got!

One thing I'm very skeptical about is the term "Superpower" in my opinion it is illusory at best

Frankly, I feel pretty good about our domestic situation. Everyone who wants a job has one and there is a concensus that we have an energy problem; even if the solution is contentious.

Previously, I was refering to the devastation of WWII. Iraq hasn't suffered nearly so badly, although I expect the maimed and dying will disagree. Grieving parents surely will make no such distinction.

I almost used the phrase "collareral damage", refering to the killing and maiming of innocent people during wars. That is always regretable and glossing it over with a catchy phrase doesn't mitigate the loss or suffering, but it does dehumanize it!

While I don't condone the abuse of prisoners and absolutely despise torture, I'm not entirely sure the Geneva Convention applies in this case. I suppose I should apologize for that- it is at best a legal nicety that won't matter much to someone who's testicles are being crushed. ( please see "slippery slope" below ) { I can't describe how I feel when I see the "towers" falling and, most of all, people falling to their deaths justs before the collapse. Something reptilian crawls up out of my brainstem and I want blood,lots of it! Muslims are angry over a cartoon! I don't think they understand anger!!}

My biggest disagreement with American foreign policy ( it might better be considered domestic policy ) is the "War Powers Act" which, in essence, allows the President to wage war without a declaration of war from Congress. Once you start down that "slippery slope" things have a way of getting out of hand. Vietnam being the best or worst example.

I don't remember much about Eastern bloc armor, we did a lot of cross-traing because of chronic shortages of men and equipment (Vietnam). I was assigned a variety of tasks, not the least of which was aircraft identification and trainging with the Redeye missle, the precursor to the Stinger. And, truthfully, I was far more interested in drinking beer and chasing women!

More importantly, what the hell happened to your cross-country team!? I expect our over-rated "golden boys and girls" to collapse occasionally, but this?!

Last edited by Tikipete; 02/20/06 01:45 PM.
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: David] #66839
02/20/06 01:43 PM
02/20/06 01:43 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Well, I'm happy to agree to disagree.

And there is nothing I can say that I haven't said already.

Regards,

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Wouter] #66840
02/20/06 01:49 PM
02/20/06 01:49 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

Wouter, if you can't think of anything good to say about Ameica,you haven't seen Yellowstone!

Oh! I forgot, it may blow-up at any moment and bring an end to ciivilization as we know it! My bad

Last edited by Tikipete; 02/20/06 01:51 PM.
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: fin.] #66841
02/20/06 02:13 PM
02/20/06 02:13 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Yellowstone? Give me Yosemite any day..

Our cross country team has let their best ski-preparers go, and pay for it now. Wrong preparation of the skis last time (no wax, but traction) and wrong athlete for the relay.
Personally, I suspect there is a lot of misuse of medicals and other techniques to enchance performance artificially. That goes for both the norwegians and others. Cycling, cross country and other endurance sports are very suspect for me.

Seems like we can go back to talking about sailing now
Any hope of you getting an A-cat this season?

Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #66842
02/20/06 02:34 PM
02/20/06 02:34 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

Seems like we can go back to talking about sailing now
Any hope of you getting an A-cat this season?

I hope to have it by mid-March just in time for the Gulfport, FL (St. Petersburg area) regatta.

But, you're not gonna believe this, I'm considering an F-16! Everything is so expensive, I just have to consider all options! Until I get an "out the door" price, all options are open!

Re: This punishes the poor [Re: fin.] #66843
02/20/06 02:38 PM
02/20/06 02:38 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
What does that have to do with political science? Pete, you started this thread, and now you are hijacking it back to sailing. Make up your mind.

Re: This punishes the poor [Re: fin.] #66844
02/20/06 02:47 PM
02/20/06 02:47 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I really liked the big sky over the flat lands when I was over there. I really looked like a deeper kind of blue. I put it down to less moisture in the higher layers of the atmosphere.

But having said this, let me note one thing.

Why is it that Americans always need foreigners to express "Love" and "appreciation" for America and American values or what ever. I have been in many discussions with persons of a different nationality then myself but never once did I hear any of them (Americans excluded) ask (or cry) if they were loved/appreciated as a people or system. Never did I do so in return. It is quite probable that more then a few people hate my guts. I NEVER asked why and I really do not loose any sleep over it. I never feel scorned for it or even resent it. Somebody has a different opinion then I have, and does so passionately; BIG DEAL ! In the sweeptakes of life we'll see soon enough was wrong or right. Besides I must rather have such a world then one were everybody agrees with everybody in a machine like fashion.

So what is up with that ?

Wouter

P.S. Did you even hear me ask what you Americans like about the Netherlands ? Do you love us (Hate us) and why ?

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Good one Mary ! (nm) [Re: Mary] #66845
02/20/06 02:50 PM
02/20/06 02:50 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Timbo] #66846
02/20/06 02:52 PM
02/20/06 02:52 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Solution :

Have them develop themselfs into properous nations. Did the trick for us and the Catholic chruch was every bit as influencial as the Imans are right now.

Mind you Iraq had one of the lowest birth rates in the middle east. Another proof that we went after the wrong target.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: This punishes the poor [Re: Wouter] #66847
02/20/06 02:58 PM
02/20/06 02:58 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

Did you even hear me ask what you Americans like about the Netherlands ? Do you love us (Hate us) and why ?

This probably all began with Khruschev(?) pounding his shoes at the U.N. and screaming that he would bury us.

But, I'm drained, you win. Did you see my new post " A cat vs F-16"?

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022