05/29/03 04:00 PM
05/29/03 04:00 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
While this did not happen to my I-20, I have witnessed carbon fiber masts and their interaction with lightning. Had a windsurfing mast rigged as an extension of a CB antennae in the Bahamas and it was hit by a bolt one afternoon. Yes, the antennae and cable did act as a lightning rod, but the middle part of the carbon fiber mast exploded into a large number of splinters. I would guess that this same effect would occur on a larger and thicker CF mast (windsurfing masts are only about 12-15' high). It would probably be due to the extreme heating experienced during the lightning strike.

In the CF mast on a cat, if you were sailing in a storm, I would figure that the film of water on the mast would act more as the conductor than the mast itself. Due to the heat of the lightning, I would suspect some major heat damage in the form of splintering/fractures.

If I recall correctly, they conducted tests on helicopter rotor blades and airplane wings to determine what would happen in the event of a lightning strike (**safety tip**, chopper blades create a bunch of static electricity while hovering, so never grab a rescue cable from a chopper until it hits the ground first!). The aluminum skinned wings/blades emerged relatively unscathed, while the carbon/composite types suffered severe damage. There are even some USAF freaks who PURPOSELY fly jets through lightning. You should see the video!

Jay

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Lightning experiences [Re: waterbug_wpb] #6835
05/29/03 04:36 PM
05/29/03 04:36 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
In our area there's a well-known racing monohull named "DonneyBrooke", which I believe is a custom/modified Santa Cruz 52. All carbon mast, lots of carbon in the boat itself. She took a substantial hit on the mast while lying in her slip. The crew working on board were unscathed, but at last account the mast was a write-off due to structural damage, as were all the electronics. There were indications that the hull itself had suffered damage as well. Big repair bill, including trying to get in the schedule to have a new monster carbon spar built. I think they figured she'd be out action for at least the year.

Re: Are carbon masts vulnerable to lightning strikes? [Re: flounder] #6836
03/25/04 12:57 PM
03/25/04 12:57 PM
Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
Frozen Offline
enthusiast
Frozen  Offline
enthusiast

Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
I have a bit of a tough time with that one. Aluminum is used for household wiring. I think that it is less used nowadays for reasons I am not certain of but it is nonetheless a good conductor.

Carbon fibre is also an excellent conductor as I remember from my hang gliding days there was a guy outside Salt Lake City at a place called "Point Of The Mountain Utah" (I get excited just remembering the excellent flying conditions there) who accidentally managed to sink out and land on some powerlines which were on the perimeter of the "South side".

His carbon fibre glider burned and cooked for quite awhile and knocked out the power to wherever it was going.

Fortunately the webbing which was used to suspend him was conconductive and he managed to only suffer injuries from the fall from the wires.

It was actually kind of bizarre that he was that low in the area of the wires.

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger
Re: urban legends [Re: samevans] #6837
03/25/04 03:29 PM
03/25/04 03:29 PM
PSAILOR Offline
PSAILOR  Offline

Last edited by PSAILOR; 03/25/04 05:04 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Talus1), 680 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022