Hop To
Looking for spot to camp/sail #73272
04/23/06 07:37 AM
04/23/06 07:37 AM
Mikenet Offline OP
stranger
Mikenet  Offline OP
stranger

I am a South Florida native since '62 and recently got into sailing with a Prindle 16. I am looking for a place to trailer to and camp out with the boat for 3-4 days. Good snorkeling, fishing, maybe hop to some smaller islands to camp out on. I would appreciate any pointers on this. Please post or email me at [email]keysideas@yahoo.com.[/email]
Thanks.
Mike

--Advertisement--
Re: Looking for spot to camp/sail [Re: Mikenet] #73273
04/23/06 09:33 PM
04/23/06 09:33 PM
BobG Offline
addict
BobG  Offline
addict

Mike you must look closely at the what is and is not!For example I was double checking and found " Spanish River"in Boca R. listed as only beach access when I know the scouts camp in this park between the "I"waterway and the Atlantic . Bahia Honda looks like the optimum place in the keys without having to deal with to many mudsand flats and short traveltime to some reef.Elliot key also has camping and if you sail south it looked interesting in one of the Steeple events with rock structures as you came through Angelfish creek if this is your first excursion I recommend staying in bounds of the sounds. And then of course you can just sail straight to Garden key off Key west either or a couple pounds of beef jerky ought to hold the family down until you make it to the Tortugas good luck.Bob G. DDDelray

Re: Looking for spot to camp/sail [Re: Mikenet] #73274
04/24/06 09:47 AM
04/24/06 09:47 AM
Coral Gables, Fl
ferminj Offline
ferminj  Offline

Coral Gables, Fl
If you forego the snorkeling bit, you can trailer to Flamingo and have all of Cape Sable accessible for camping. There are one or two campgrounds in small keys south of the Cape as well.

Key West or West Palm [Re: Mikenet] #73275
04/25/06 03:52 PM
04/25/06 03:52 PM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
Key West
Boyds in Key West has a small beach and there is one tent lot that has a small beach in front so you can sail right up to your tent. www.boydscampground.com/

West Palm
Peanut Island has both formal campgrounds with shower access and a first come first pitch area. The only access to it is by boat. You can launch at Phil Foster Park and sail over or you can take the boat shuttle from Sailfish Marina on Singer Island. www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/parks/locations/peanutisland.htm

Let me know if you need more detailed info on either. I have GPS Coordinates for both.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: Key West or West Palm [Re: cyberspeed] #73276
04/25/06 05:04 PM
04/25/06 05:04 PM
Mikenet Offline OP
stranger
Mikenet  Offline OP
stranger

Thanks very much for all the responses.
Bob, I did book a couple of nights at Bahia Honda, it was the best of the State Park campgrounds available. We'll bring some Jerkey, but the Tortugas will have to wait till another time. Maybe you'll be up to it as well.
Fermini, Nice place for an inside stay, but snorkling and fishing are the things we're looking for this time.
Craig, I've bookmarked both sites you posted, thanks. Actually, the West Palm location looks especially nice for a little overnighter from Delray. Key West is just a bit too far just to get drunk and forget what you did.
Thanks all,
Mike

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022