07/07/02 02:42 AM
07/07/02 02:42 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have an older H16 mast and it seems to be tweaked above the Tang about 3 inches to port, there is also a little bow from the base to the tang, maybe 1 inch at the most deflection point.

It is an all aluminum type, round head.

Looks like maybe it turned turtle on the previous owner and was dragged on the bottom.

Can an Aluminum mast be straightened?

I have heard of the older style being converted to comp-tip by cutting off the top and adding the tip.

Would the slight bow from base to tang make this mast not suitable for the comp tip upgrade?

Should I start looking for a replacement mast?

I am not doing any racing now, but may be getting into it as the skills come back and my crew gains confidence.

Any advice is appreciated!

Catster 16

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Is a Bowed Mast Fixable? #8541
07/07/02 06:49 AM
07/07/02 06:49 AM
West Texas
Hobie Dave Offline
Hobie Dave  Offline

West Texas
The bend above the mast tang could be corrected by a comp tip. It doesn't sound like your bow below the mast tang is a problem. Part of getting sail shape is bending the mast. These mast are very flexible. Mine was bowed as you describe, and I placed the mast on a couple saw horses, and my daughter and myself sit on the mast; this took the bow out, but I do not feel like it was necessary.

David

Re: Is a Bowed Mast Fixable? [Re: Hobie Dave] #8542
07/07/02 09:25 AM
07/07/02 09:25 AM
Rhode Island
woodsskiier Offline
stranger
woodsskiier  Offline
stranger

Rhode Island
I would go with the comp-tip, and not worry about the other bow. I bent my mast by turtling long ago, and had what sounds like a similar problem. Since putting on a comp-tip was required anyway to race one-design, I did so, and have raced well with that boat. Unless you can find a used straight mast for less than the price of the comp-tip, I'd go with the repair. If you plan on getting really competative racing you'll probably want to update to a newer boat anyway, so save your money.

Wayne

Hobie 16
Re: Is a Bowed Mast Fixable? #8543
07/07/02 03:21 PM
07/07/02 03:21 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the replies!

I will talk to my local dealer about getting the comp-tip installed.

What should this cost? $400 maybe?

It doesnt sound like it will hurt me right now to run with this mast and improve my basic sailing skills.

If I was to race it would be in Novice or C fleet, once the comp tip is installed.

So I guess having FUN is what I should be doing and not worrying about performance lost because the mast is kinda tweaked at the top.

I sailed it with the mast as-is and didnt know it was bent untill a few weeks after I bought the boat and looked down the sail track.

I didnt notice anything out of whack so it should be OK, wanted to be sure the thing wasnt going to fold up and collapse.

Thanks for the good advice!

Catster 16

Re: Is a Bowed Mast Fixable? #8544
07/08/02 02:47 AM
07/08/02 02:47 AM
West Texas
Hobie Dave Offline
Hobie Dave  Offline

West Texas
I am new to the Hobie scene, but everyone tells me that Hobie will give you a comp tip if your boat has never been fitted with one.

David

To comp tip or not? #8545
07/08/02 08:03 AM
07/08/02 08:03 AM
Virginia USA
CMerrell Offline
enthusiast
CMerrell  Offline
enthusiast

Virginia USA
The short answers are: yes, you can straighten a bent mast and yes, you can refit with a comp tip. However, in your situation, I don't think they are mutually exclusive. Your mast is bent below the tang and can/must be straightened whether you install a comp tip or not.

Straightening is not a difficult process although from your description you may have two bends (one above and one below the tang)? Center the bend between two supports, apply pressure (you can use main sheet system) to reverse bend using a 2x4 or the like to spread the pressure on the bend side, go slow and check your progress often. Quite a bit of reverse bend will be required but, of course, don't over do it. The mast section is very strong and only a good kinking will weaken it.

The comp tip solution has several disadvantages: You have to cut what is, essentially, a good mast. You have to buy the comp tip kit (no longer free from the factory). The alum to comp tip kit is kind of dorky (2 big screws throught the side of the mast). You may need a new main halyard.

In short, if you are going to sail recreationally, straighten the mast or just live with it. If you are going to race you will have to (eventually) spend some bucks and do the comp tip conversion or sell off your mast and buy a new comp tip mast.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 348 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022