10/23/06 05:32 PM
10/23/06 05:32 PM
Q
que_nimb Offline OP
stranger
que_nimb  Offline OP
stranger
Q

I was looking into sail my boat over to Elliott and Boca Chita Keys in the latter part of November. Staying for a few days, camping and fishing.
Is it possible to park truck and trailer at the Vistors Center, Dante Fiscell, over night while camping on the islands?
Where are the best places to launch?
I spoke with a Park Ranger and he said that the launches may be a little tricky. I do not know if he means that the launches are rocky or if it is difficult to sail out of a channel or something like that. He also said that this is a really good time of the year to visit. He also mentioned that the ideal place to beach my boat would be just south of the marina on Elliott Key. Good info or what? He mentioned that he had access to three hobies, so he is probably familiar with this list...
Anybody have any information to share?
que_nimb
Richmond, VA

--Advertisement--
Re: Southern Bay [Re: que_nimb] #87139
10/24/06 11:26 AM
10/24/06 11:26 AM
Miami, FL
John McKnight Offline
John McKnight  Offline

Miami, FL
Hi there que_nimb,

I may be able to help some. I would think you could park at the headquarters for the Biscayne National Park. You would have to check with them to be sure. All they have for launching there is a concrete ramp, not good for catamarans. The ramps face east and the winds are usually out of the east southeast unless a front has come through. So it would be hard to put your sails up and launch the boat backing it into the wind. That can get ugly. Then there is a narrow channel to navigate out of to get into Biscayne Bay. There are rock jetties on both sides of a narrow channel as I remember. Not good for cats.

The CABB members launch off a sandy beach on the Rickenbacker Causeway in Miami. But, they don't allow overnight parking there. But, that is not enforced. But, you could get ripped off if you leave your car and trailer there for several days. I do not recommend that.

I have never camped on Elliot or Boca Chita, but I know it can be done. At Boca Chita, there is a lagoon with a seawall around it. That is not good for beach cats. I remember there are some small beaches on the north and south sides of the island, but there can be very strong current by those beaches depending on the tides. I remember checking it out as a stopping point for a distance race and it did not look too good to me. Elliot Key would be better for landing a cat. There is a long sandy beach on the west side of the key. I have landed there many times. It is a bit rocky in places but doable. I do believe there are campgrounds on both islands. You might want to bring your Cat Trax with you for the landing.

I think there are better places to camp and sail beach cats in the keys. I have camped at Long Key State Park and it is excellent. You can car camp right by the beach. I didn't have my boat with me at the time, but it would have been perfect. You could do day sails right from your campground.

You might also want to check out the Flamingo Campground at Everglades National Park. They have a grassy tent camping area right on the water. I think I remember places where you could pull your boat up there. There are also some secluded beaches west of Flamingo that you could sail to and probably camp there with the appropriate permit.

You might also check Bahia Honda State Park in the keys. They have many campsites right on the water. Reservations are a must that time of year.

I am sure there are other places to camp and day sail in the keys. Anybody else know of any?

John McKnight
Commodore, Catamaran Association of Biscayne Bay (CABB)
(305) 251-7600
CABB Forum: http://www.catsailor.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=CABB

Re: Southern Bay [Re: John McKnight] #87140
10/24/06 04:21 PM
10/24/06 04:21 PM
Q
que_nimb Offline OP
stranger
que_nimb  Offline OP
stranger
Q

Thanks for the information. We may check in to some different places in the Keys.
Although Central Virginia is not the "Cold" part of the US, we are expecting an overnight low of freezing. Makes that warm Florida water all the better.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 134 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022