07/31/02 08:45 AM
07/31/02 08:45 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

We just bought a Sol Cat 18 that looks to be about 30 years old. Being fairly new to the sport we're trying to figure the whole thing out.

We put up the mast (step?) with the boat on the trailer and it seemed to be more difficult than it should be. We tried installing it from the bow end, and then were able to lift it into place from the stern end but it took a lot of effort.

The hulls are red but faded. My neighbor told me that an old trick was to wipe them down with Lemon Pledge to make them look better, as wax will turn white eventually.

What is the best way to install the mast? Does anyone know where I can find more information (a manual) for the Sol Cat 18? What's the best way, other than new paint, to clean up the hulls? Is WD 40 a bad idea on sticking parts or is silicone spray better?

Thanks.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Sol Cat 18 questions #9100
07/31/02 08:59 AM
07/31/02 08:59 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Budman,

There was an earlier thread close to this topic and I'll copy from that thread:

The large majority of us step the mast by leaving both sidestays connected but the forestay (the cable that the jib slides up on) loose. Most cats now also have a captive mast base that eliminates the need to tie the base down during stepping. Whether you have a captive base or a tied down base, the stepping procedure is pretty much the same:

Have the mast on the ball and someone holding up the rear of the mast that should now be pointed straight out to the back of the boat. You (or whoever the strongbody is) are standing on the trampoline as your assistant walks the mast up to you. Once they've reached the limit of their reach, you give it a good heave - trying to keep some downward pressure on the mast base (if yours is not captive)- and you should find it needs very little forward stability once you have it on the ball, raised, both sidestays still attached. While you hold the mast upright, your assistant should attach the forestay. There are ways to do this by yourself but I recommend you try this several times with assistance before considering trying.

As far as hull preparation - I highly recommend the 3M fiberglass restoration products. You WILL need one of the powerfull grinder type buffers (a random orbit buffer will not cut it). The 3M products have both a rubbing compound and a wax in it. Once you have refinished the gel coat, just wax it a couple of times a year and it will stay shiny. While pledge might make it look better, I imagine it could be kind of greasy (the last thing you need on a boat).

WD40 is a bad idea - it is a wet lubricant and will adhere dirt and sand to the very place you are trying to lubricate. Use a dry silicon lubricant instead.

Good Luck and welcome to catsailing!!!!

Jake Kohl
Re: Sol Cat 18 questions #9101
08/01/02 12:18 PM
08/01/02 12:18 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI
-Hi budman

Try Midwest Sailing in Dexter Mich. they have a number of Sol cats , plus parts etc for em --

Also try New England Caramarans In Mass for parts as many are interchangable ,and . for sail clubs and event info .

good luck -

Carl

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 244 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
cvaty 1
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,058
Members8,150
Most Online2,167