12/01/02 05:28 PM
12/01/02 05:28 PM
Québec, Canada
CharlesLeblanc Offline OP
journeyman
CharlesLeblanc  Offline OP
journeyman

Québec, Canada
I am looking to replace my Nacra 5.7 with something more manageable in solo and that has boards.

I want a catamaran that can be sailed solo with ease and also that can be rigged solo (including stepping the mast up and down)

My current boat has a long and heavy mast and cannot be stepped up and down safely. Also, I cannot right up the boat after a capsize unless I have a righting bag or a pole.

Also, I would like to have a boat as fast as my current boat.

My sailing is recreationnal and I will not be racing this boat.

Also, price is very important because I will have to sell my current Nacra 5.7 to purchase the other boat.

I was thinking about the Nacra 5.2

If is any lighter than my 5.7? Can it be right up safely, A am 5"10" 220lbs, I am thyinking that the dagger boards will help alot.

My other choices would be an older A-cat but there are almost impossible to find in my area and I am afraid that they will be more expensive.

The Prindle 18-2 seems too much of a boat to me. I was also thinking about the Hobie17 but I do not know how well she will handle being double handled and I am concerned about the speed

Any "reasonable" opinions are welcome. I do not think that anyone wishes to trade an Inter 17R against my 1884 Nacra 5.7 with $500 more.

If I do not find a suitable boat. I will probable purchase a right up kit like the one of HobieGary and modify my trailler with a winch to step eht mast.

Charles Leblanc Nacra 5.2 #26
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Opinion needed on small cat [Re: CharlesLeblanc] #13608
12/01/02 09:11 PM
12/01/02 09:11 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
I'm not neccessarily recommending it, but the H17 sport sails perfectly fine 2-up.

After 6 months of ownership, I've actually figured out how to raise the mast by myself without the use of a gin pole either.

Re: Opinion needed on small cat [Re: CharlesLeblanc] #13609
12/01/02 11:32 PM
12/01/02 11:32 PM
Socal
nesdog Offline
journeyman
nesdog  Offline
journeyman

Socal
You might consider the standard Prindle 18 or even the 16. I've had both. They come without boards, so one less thing to deal with. They tend to ride well on the water, not quite as prone to pitchpole. Being boardless, they won't point as well as daggered boats. They are also good beaching boats with hearty hulls. I mostly sail solo on my 18.

I rig the mast using an EZ Stepper, which is fairly painless.

However, I can't right my P-18 alone without a tool. I tried bags which didn't work for me. I have had success with Gary's Solo~Right which I recommend. I did have a friend who could right his P-16 alone, but he was very, very strong.

Plenty of parts available too.

Sheldon
P-18

Nacra 5.2 is a great boat. [Re: CharlesLeblanc] #13610
12/02/02 08:07 AM
12/02/02 08:07 AM
M
michael C Offline
michael C  Offline
M

I can't tell you if you can right the boat...at 220, though, I think you can. Other than that, the 5.2 is one of the best boats out there. The mast is much lighter than the other nacra's. Not as light as my T4.9 mast (I didn't like to do it by myself, but I have done it), but nowhere near as heavy as a 5.5 sloop. I've sailed the H17 a good bit, and I definitely liked the 5.2 WORLD'S better... much better feel, especially with another person.
Michael Coffman
t4.9 #32

Re: Opinion needed on small cat [Re: CharlesLeblanc] #13611
12/02/02 01:04 PM
12/02/02 01:04 PM
beaufort, sc
dannyb9 Offline
enthusiast
dannyb9  Offline
enthusiast

beaufort, sc
are there any isotopes in your area?

marsh hawk
Re: Opinion needed on small cat [Re: dannyb9] #13612
12/02/02 02:01 PM
12/02/02 02:01 PM
Québec, Canada
CharlesLeblanc Offline OP
journeyman
CharlesLeblanc  Offline OP
journeyman

Québec, Canada
Thank you all for the comments:

There are no Isotope in my area and I have never seen one in my life. I might consider one if it became available as long as the rigging is in good condition and the parts are reasonnably available. For that boat, I would have to sail it before purchasing it.

My area of search is Quebec, Montreal, Toronto, New England. I might drive down to Cap Hatteras next year so the I95 down to Richmond would be included in my search.

I really like the Nacra 5.2 because it is a Nacra and I feel that I would get accustomed very fast on that boat. Also it seems faster than my Nacra 5.7 unless it is really blowing hard.
I am certain that the boards will help alot to right the boat after a capsize.
I will also look for a Hobie17 even if it rates slower than my Nacra 5.7. I am willing to take a performance hit for the conveniance of a more manageable cat.

I often sail my boat solo but one capsize, it is very difficult to right, in fact it is almost impossible and if I succeed, I would be exhausted and my sailing would be over for the day. My new lake is not a sailing lake and I often find myself being the only boat on the water. Most of the lake cannot be monitored from the club so that is why i want to change boat.

As for the Prindle 16, I sailed it very often a few years back and I loved it in strong wind, but I would really prefer a cat with boards to improve the upwind ability. Also, my current Nacra 5.7 is much faster than the Prindle16

Charles Leblanc Nacra 5.2 #26
Re: Nacra 5.2 is a great boat. [Re: michael C] #13613
12/02/02 04:58 PM
12/02/02 04:58 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
At 170lbs I can ALMOST right my 5.2 by myself - Of course it depends a bit on the wind strength but I bet 220lbs would be able to with no trouble.

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 5.2 is a great boat. [Re: Jake] #13614
12/02/02 05:38 PM
12/02/02 05:38 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Hello

You might have a hard time finding a 5.2 in decent shape.. the boat has not been produced in a long time... Some of the older boats had a bar in the center of the tramp which took some getting used to. Best ask before you travel

I think that a Nacra or Mystere 5.5 would be a really good choice for you. they have boards and can be sailed solo as a uni and can be righted solo (main only). The Nacra uni's are actively raced in Michigan and you might be able to get a good deal on a uni.... the Nacra 5.5 sloops are active in Florida and you might be able to find one down there as well.
The Mystere 5.5 was in my opinion, the nicest sailing of the Mystere line and it has kick up centerboards. It will be the driest of all the boats you might consider.

Finally, similar to your 5.7 but a lot easier to day sail in a breeze would be a Dart 18 or perhaps a Nacra 5.0. This boat is also boomless and with skegs. They will be slower then the 5.7. Darts are reasonably popular in Canada and they have a very social class organization as well.

The hobie 17 sport might be really burdened with yourself at 220 and one or two others on the boat. Solo you would be in great shape.

Good luck hunting... sounds like price and availability might be the real hurdles. Figuring out a new boat is always fun!
Merry Christmas.

Mark

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Opinion needed on small cat [Re: CharlesLeblanc] #13615
12/03/02 12:35 PM
12/03/02 12:35 PM
W. MICHIGAN
DAVEY Offline
DAVEY  Offline

W. MICHIGAN
Charles,

I'm new to sailing and as such am probably the least qualified person on this site to offer an opinion on the merits of various cats.

Having said that, I'll post an opinion anyway and you can keep in mind that free advice is often worth what you pay for it...

I have a 17 supercat and LOVE it. It is light for its sail area, so it performs well, parts are still available from Aquarius Sail
and Tom Haberman there claims it will point with daggerboard boats. It has extenders on the side stays, and is supposed to be rightable by a single person. It is boomless, and there are only 3 lines; main, jib, and traveler.

Everybody who has a cat has an opinion, and you should like what you sail, so brand loyalty is a good thing....but when I was semi-looking and talking with cat owners I couldn't find a single supercat owner who had anything bad to say about them, other than their relative lack of numbers on the water.

Good luck in your hunt & happy holidays!

Davey

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning !

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 655 guests, and 139 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022