Hello and Happy Holidays to all!
Our regatta season is beginning in the Caribbean and it is time to change the boat for the races( if this was the plan).
So, after too much inaction, I cut 12 inches off the stock daggarboard.
I studied photos of me and the I-17 underway, and man where those boards pulled up, no kidding, about 16-18 inches!
So, I cut 12 inches, giving me a 'comfort zone' of not going to the point-of-no-return. I probaly will have to adjust the d-board 2-5 inches,..but that is better than 16inches or so!
Weight reducation 25% ( 25% of board cut off)
For those who want to know the composition of the interior, here is a simple layup profile;
starting from bow section;
first 15% leading edge external skin and carbon
next 10% filler material with carbon
next 50% end grain wood
next 10% filler material w carbon
trailing edge 15% external skin and carbon
Right now, the boards are back in the shop, to 'V' out the portion ( like the T4.9) that is 'in the hull' when fully deployed( down). This will be a modest 'V 'cut out.
'V' weight reduction, maybe 10%
Actually, a friend who teaches a boatbuilding class is doing the work, and it is a very nice job, the boards look great ( small by Inter standards).
Total weight loss, approximate total 5 pounds.
Not a ton by any standard, but I am going the right direction!
Next project, fabricate a new, tube boom, just like the FX-1.
The stock Inter boom, for the 17 ( same as the 18 and 20) is a beast. I bet I can save 50% of the present weight on that too.
I figure the I-17normal ( metal mast) about 318-ish pounds, so maybe I can be at 310-ish pounds this year.
Once again, Happy Holidays to all!
US Virgin islands