Originally Posted by Dazz
I thought that was the normal spot, even broke my f18 mast there!

Mozzies apparently break in 3 common spots.....

Area around the goose-neck
Dimond spreader bar
&
At the hounds

Uncommon to break else where apparently.....

I'm no expert as I've only ever broken one other mast and that was a cedar mast on my impara cadet back in 1973 !!!!! grin

A bit more detail :

As we went over another gust hit us a 2nd time and that pushed the mast to ~45degrees down into the water..... We were on our way to a full capsize ... But there was a few moments of hesitation were it seemed to just hang there

then there was a shudder through the boat and she dropped down to fully upside down instantly...

Bugger, it was past the stage I could use my home-made righting setup so I went to the righting rope thats lashed up on the front of the tramp....
It was then I saw the base of the mast about a foot infront of the front beam and about two feet under the water.....
Crew calls out.... Dad, why is the mast up there ?.....
Turn around to see the top of the mast about 4feet above the water bobbing about happily at the back of the boat

Ummmmm errrrrr ...... thats not good !!!! shocked

After we were draged back to shore and the rig was cleared away and the boat righted was when we were told why it had failed in that spot.....

Unknowingly we'd capsized on a sandbar and it was probably the wind gust and sea swell that pile-drove the mast until it failed

It did hang at that angle for quite some time befote flopping fully now we think about it .... whistle

Makes sense but I'll never realy know....

so .................

Any spare masts around ????

wink

edited to fix spelling ... original post done from smart phone..... logical hey
grin

Last edited by PIRATE; 02/24/14 02:19 AM.

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740