Closer view of the "elbow through deck" repair I did a couple of weeks back.... nails still attached !!!
this was the strongest part of the entire deck
shocked

[Linked Image]

what I 'think' has been happening is the slow rot of the decks over time caused by a couple of things apart from old age.....

1/
the decks were sanded back and left exposed to the weather for about 18months, at the same time the hatch covers weren't fitted allowing some winter rain to enter the actual hulls
She wasn't pretty by any means was she !!!!
[Linked Image]

While the hulls themselves have had a coat of varnish applied during the original build the decks have had no protective cover applied to the under side, as the rain water was heated by the sun it obviously condensated on the upper most part of the structure ......

this has been an ongoing thing since I've put her back on the water, she always gets about a cup of water in each hull after each days sailing, I sponge out as much as posiable but you never get every drop....

2/
The ply isn't a good grade ply, the glue between the veneers shows signs of failing, specifically along the hull/deck joint.
the glue that was used to hold the deck to the hull has also failed for most of that connection, hence the ease of which I was able to peel the decks off leaving a lot of tarnished nails, the only part the nails came away with the deck was the "elbow hole" area
shocked

fortunately the timber work below the deck ply is all in great condition and hasn't suffered from the moisture issue that the decks have had
smile

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740