1) once I get going I can't figure out where the wind is,

when setting the spi' (after rounding the windward mark) I center my traveller about 12-14" from center and sheet the main. Then sail directly downwindand and hoist the spi', after locking down the spinlock a quick pull on the downhaul to let off pressure. Sheet in on the spi and come up so that you have the tell tales on the bridal wire flowing 90 degrees. I generally sheet in and sail up until i "heat up" the spi, then let out on the spi' and sail lower until the tell tales flow at 90 degrees.

foot straps and also some mention of "chicken wire"?

If racing buoys, best to sit on the hull near the rear cross beam and sail as above. In distance racing you may want to trapeze where a foot strap is (IMHO) a definte must.

Nothing like floating away from the boat and knowing there is nothing I can do to correct the situation.

When sailing, and especially solo, NEVER (repeated for clarification) NEVER let go of the sheet (main to windward and spi' downwind) or you certainly will be floating.

And I agree with Wouter, this has been my first year sailing a spi' cat...at first it's a bit intimidating (especially with high gusty winds), but with incremental steps (and several bow-stuffs) you'll get the hang of it.

Tback, I've got a few stuffs, most of which aren't too dramatic, but I'm trying to remember the jibing situation where I'm starting to float and if I push the tiller then I'll be further off the hull on the down wind side and I don't think I can pull on the spin sheet because it is already slack. I would need to drop the tiller so I could 'hand over hand' the line until I'd be into the side stay, without a tiller. I don't know if I'm painting a clear picture but on the trap wire with spin I don't think I can survive a jibing wind shift with out something extra to keep me attached to the boat.

Will_Lints
one-up, Blade 706, epoxy bottoms