I wouldn't want to see T-foil rudders banned but I can see that being able to adjust those foils while sailing could have tremendous advantages. We have always declared that we wouldn't want to become an 'arms race' class and therefore rules need to be deisgned so that costs of boats (both capital and running costs) can be kept under control. Coupled with this is the desire to keep older boats competitive for longer than many other classes.

£3000 seems inordinately high for adjustable rudders, but I haven't investigated costs so I'll accept your point Scooby. However, the question then is could this be done cheaper and can it be retro-fitted to older boats? My guess is the answer to both is 'Yes'.

Should we be inhibiting development in a development class? - that's a difficult one. In the best interests of the class we DO need to control developments. It may be that initially we need to ban a particular development and then permit it a few years later (perhaps once relevant technology becomes cheaper) but I am reluctant to ban on a perceived threat - particularly in respect of something like rudders that, after all, just hang on the back of the boat and could therefore be changed on any boat.

Personally, I'd like to know a bit more about the cons of having adjustable T-foils before I'd vote for a ban. I like to keep an open mind to developments, but if the cost of a new idea is shown to be out of reach of most people I'd vote for a ban in an instant.

On the mast tip weight rule - I've never liked this rule and with the speed at which mast technology is developing I think it to be an unnecessary hinderance to better masts and for a lightweight like me I'd love to have a lighter, more flexible mast. Having said that, I don't believe we could just remove the rule in one go. Nor do I think that 2 years is enough. If it were to be slated for removal then I think it should be removed over 4 or 6 years.

John Alani