So glad to hear you have a H16. I loved my 14 for many years and then got a 16 after longingly looking at the sterns of those that passed me on the lakes. It sounds like you checked out the most important ingredients. If the tramp holds you and the sails go up, sail it. But, check your hulls frequently (at first) for leakage. I've been told the mast needs to be sealed to avoid turtling. Make sure you have righting lines on your boat. Someone will recommend some books for you. I remember the first lesson I read. It said in essence, "An accidental jibe is the most frequent cause of capsizing." I said, "I won't do that!" Naturally, I did that on the lake and learned what an accidental jibe really was. Lessons would be nice. Or you could do it the hard way like I did.
<br>Keep posting.
<br>
<br>I am sure there are extremely experienced sailors who can give you a lot more information than a self taught old sailor like me.
<br>Greg H14,H16
<br>___________________________________________________
<br>
<br>Congrats on your new cat. I'm sure your going to love sailing it and enjoy making a lot of great new friends.
<br>First of all check out the archives of the On The Wire Ezine - http://www.catsail.com - a lot of great info on maintenance, repairs, and equipment.
<br>Check:
<br>Hulls - any soft spots in hulls will need to be repaired to insure the boats stability - very important!
<br>Shrouds - should be replaced every 5 yrs whether used or not - check for broken strands where the shrouds are looped at the ends.
<br>I'd replace the righting lines just for safety's sake - Do not sail without one!
<br>I'd probably replace the drain plugs and check the rudder pins and transoms.
<br>
<br>Good Luck and happy sailing
<br>___________________________________________________
<br>
<br>Okay, here's an odd one, happened to me with my first H16.
<br>You probably won't encounter this problem, but it's so annoying and cleverly hidden, it's worth mentioning.
<br>
<br>It seems for a year or two, Hobie shipped the jib battens with little hinges in them, about 6 inches from the leach (traling edge) The hinges are supposed to allow the jib to cross the boat during a tack easier, then 'lock up' on the new tack.
<br>Problem is, when they get old, they stop locking, so your jib gets a hook in it.
<br>Don't Worry, these little devils are rare, I'm told, and most people I spoke to said just take 'em out. I re-used all my old battens, but cutting them down for the next higher slot, and so only had to lay out a couple o' bux for one lower jib batten.
<br>
<br>Sail fast, and watch that leeward bow on a downwind reach!
<br>(Counterintuitively, when you're pointing really deep, like 45 degrees off of true downwind, you need to point DEEPER if your overpowered!!! )
<br><br><br>