I couldn't agree more. What ever happened to using B mark? AC, ACAC, ACACAC, ACA......boring......bring back the reaches. When I used to race in the 80's, that was the most exciting part of the race, and can be very tactical as well. It isn't necessarily the fastest boat that gets from A to B. It can also be the one that positions himself the best or uses the rules to his/her advantage. I feel removing the B mark did more harm than good.

I was at a race earlier this year where they finally did use a B mark and many people were confused by this and didn't know how to sail it. It was actually funny listening to the comments on the beach. "Wow, I never used a B mark before, that was kind of fun". "How did X boat catch up to me so much on that reach?" Gee, imagine a change from the standard sausage courses being fun.

I concur with Jim's sentiments about the ease of setup and poor excuses for not using another mark. I would also recommend putting this mark closer to shore so people on shore have something to watch.

There are many more variations of courses simply by adding another mark, AC stuff gets old after a while.

Kip Taylor

The Dalles, OR.....soon to be Boise!

TheMightyHobie18