I don't think you understand what I am trying to say. Lets just say you are on your 5.5 and I am on My Nacra 20. We are doing an ABC course. You are in the first start and I am in the third start. I get to A mark with you right in front of me. We are now heading on a reach. I am going a little bit faster that you are but there in no way you are going to let me roll you to windward. Now I spend the whole leg trying to break through your leeward. Is this tactics? I can't jibe away. I am stuck there. The fastest boat rarely wins races it's the boat that sail the fastest around the course that wins. How does this add to the quality of racing?

Lets just say at the Alter cup this year (all same boats and same speeds) sail an ABC course and then an ACA course.

Which race will have the most passing and lead changes? Have you ever been in a race where the wind shifted right before the start and it turn out to be a reach up and down the courses? What happens when the race is run? I have found in one design racing that the boats finish in basically the same order they rounded A the first time around. It happened at the Spring Fever Regatta this year. If we were on the same type of boat and were on a reach I will bet you would pass me if I were ahead. I would not let you by even if you were going faster. I would just keep in between you and the next mark and that is it. If you hit me from behind you will be off doing some turns. I agree if the reaching mark is set it should be set to leeward.

At this year Performance NA they had a few reaching legs. It did add some excitement because it was so windy but it didn't add to the racing overall. I didn't pass anyone and no one passed me. We all just followed each other and were all forced to sail the left side of the course.

I guess we are just at different racing levels.