Mark, I supect we'll maybe have to agree to disagree a bit...

A lot of the monos/power boats in marinas don't have much for accomodations. Some are trailerable and are in a slip for convenience sake. There's lots of expensive stuff, but there's lots of stuff that ain't much more than a daysailor. My boat fits that bill - it has accomodations, but it's only really usefull comfortably as a daysailor. I've seen dinghies on racks on beachs, and one of my crew races Flying Scotts out of a lot that offers a porta-pottie for amenities (they have a pretty consistent turnout, families too). PWCs launching from Sandy Point, not self-contained.

I'll go out on a limb and say that a sport doesn't necessarily have to involve competition, but that's my take. Going biking, running, rock climbing, hiking, doesn't have to involve a competition, sailing shouldn't either, maybe some would say they're only outdoor activities, I'll call them sports. Growing the sport of sailing to me means getting more people on the water sailing, whether they race or not. Get enough people sailing for fun and more folks might show up for a race. Making it expensive and exclusive may be counterproductive. I know folks that express interest in learning how to sail until they check the prices at sailing schools and for keeping boats. All of my crew (except my wife) learned to sail at the GSFC sailing club - cheap.

As for what my family should do while I sail, well, I prefer that they have the opportunity to go sailing with me, all of us at the same time. I have fond memories of that as a kid, it would be cool to continue the cycle. Maybe a beach cat can provide that. I suspect that's when people consider larger boats, be they monos, power, or some form of larger multi if they can afford it. At that point in life, if I look at a beach cat that can't provide a family experience in the sport of sailing, and it costs just as much as a something else that will, I won't spend the money on the cat first. And I love sailing cats. But I'd rather be on the Bay with my family onboard, not having them sitting at the clubhouse wondering when Dad is coming in. And maybe that will have to be on a powerboat. ;-( Of course, I say this not having kids yet... If it ends up everybody but me hates sailing then adjustments might be made and an upper scale facility will fit the bill.

Yes, the cost for Fairwinds, and even our club (WRCRA), may seem just a hair cheaper if you look strictly at the month cost. But, you have to join the upscale places on a yearly basis if I'm not mistaken, whereas the other places you pay only for the season you're going to sail. It's the difference between $500 and $1400. Pool's mighty cold in January.

We do need more access to water in the Chesapeake. I'd personnally hate to see the access tied up in expensive clubs.

So, I'll still say both fit a need/niche.

Peace.