I certainly have had my share of errors and rigging problems…. But it can be fun to watch others struggle (especially when they don’t need/want help). My biggest problem is I VERY reluctant to ask for help.

A few years ago, we had a new guy on the beach who had a plethera of troubles his first season. I had owned a Hobie 16 for many years and had walked up and offered him advice on several occasions when I saw something way out of wack.

One of the funnier times was when he stepped the mast on the trailer, and then raised the jib and main. He struggled fearcly (since his boat was stern into the wind in about 13 knots) to raise the main.

When he was finally rigged he walked over to me and asked, " now how do i get it off the trailer?" I explained that if the beach wasnt so packed he could turn the trailer around into the wind, but since it would be almost imposible with the limited room, I suggested he lower his sails and then remove the cat from the trailer. He did.

I then saw him again raising his sails with the sterns into the wind. I walked over to him and explained it would be much easier bows into the wind. He didn't listen.