Carl,

No doubt the "flapcat" would work. The question is how much would be eaten from the downwind advantage by the lower upwind speed due to the additional weight in that position and, most important, if the additional cost and work are worth it.

My Catri 27 will still take some time. The molds took more time to build then expected, the construction is technically more sophisticated then I expected and I demand perfection (as expected...). But the boat is finally being laminated now.

The second Catri 27 made in the US is performing well in its first trials: sustained 27 knots with almost 20 of wind, under main and jib only. It seems that it will easily surpass 30. The performance is more or less matching that of an Open 60 in equal conditions.

The designer refuses to make any prediction about the top speed, so I guess I'll have to wait to test it myself...

(Before anyone steps in to say that the ARC 30 tops 35, remember that the tri carries an engine, folding gear, a head and other amenities)

In case you want to see the boat in action, I am attaching a photo of the first US Catri sailing in San Francisco.

Cheers,
Luiz

Attached Files

Luiz