Andrew, There is a MINIMUM weight rule for the class. If a boat is built under this weight, it is NOT made to spec.

I have made this comment before, but I still fail to comprehend the logic of having the majority of the boats having to carry dead weight. This is a devolpment class that is still very much in its infancy. A min weight where it is currently set will prevent someone from building the "super platform" The builders such as Formula, AHPC, and us have all choosen certain processes and componets for our boats. These may not be the optimal in weight, but were choosen for convenience of sourcing or cost. All are Formula 16 boats as they fully fit within the rules. People have choosen to buy these for a variety of reasons despite the class being very new/non existant. Will the class see some huge increase in popularity due to a revision of the rules requiring most of the boat owners go out and tie lead to their platforms? I seriously doubt it.

FYI All of the weights from the measuring at Zandvoort last year were published after the event for anyone wanting do do some searching as I remember seeing it a couple of different times.

As my name keeps getting drug into this:

We weight every hull comming out of the mold, but typically not the fully assembled boats. (Note I am a class measurer for the A class and will weight boats for reference purposes, but do not record it on the form as they will be weighed at certain events anyway, and the measured weights at events will vary depending on the conditions such as how dry your boat is.) Hull shell weights have a range of about 1 lb. Some of the early boats vary more than this as we developed the process and people, but this has been pretty consistant for a while now.

We did a cert weight on all of the Alter Cup boats. These had a range if 1.2 kg with an average of 110.5, for a complete spin rigged platform. Without going to any "exotics" in materials or procedures, we could modify some of the rigging and change extrusions and be right at min. The A class over time has gradualy lowered their min weight. (They have reached a point where it is a very expensive platform now IMO, but they still have a very active class) As builders look at new F16 designs, starting from scratch they can source specific made components and more easily produce min weight boats. Processes and materials also will evolve, as they always do, such that it will likely be possible to produce parts lighter or less expensive. As a builder I see no issue with the rule as it stands. Will I see an increase in sales becuase the min weight increase - Definitely no. Will AHPC, whos boat by choice is fair amount heavier see an increase in sales. Probably not as such a huge factor in platform choice revolves around the sourcing and support.

As one of the early class members I feel the weight issue is fine. I enjoy sailing. Being on a mono hull is even fine on occasion, but I really enjoy the F16 as much as any other boat I have owned. While the platform is definitely not for everyone, get on an F18, F17, FX1 etc and run a sise by side comparison. World wide serious cat racing the F18 is it. Distance racing buy a 20, over the 350lb range, go bigger too. The competiveness of the existing F16 platforms, likely including the heavier Viper, is such I have a choice a great sailing boats that fit a certain nitch.