I can't speak for "most sailors" but that is what I have done, last year I switched clubs from a catamaran club to a child freindly club with a great cadet section that uses Oppi's.

This year a couple of other people from my old club have done the same. I don't see this as abandoning cat sailing, but more as part of a long term plan to increase my time on the water.

I have just qualified as an instructor in order to teach other Cadets to sail. I am a supporter of the F12 concept for young kids 7 and up, but I would not advocate starting them on anything other than a suitable small monohull like an Oppi. I intend to introduce an F12 to my club in the near future.

THis approach teaches them the right skills and with the big numbers involved in Oppi sailing it shows them that the social side of sailing is great as well. I think the social aspect is the bit that will keep them hooked, and if they learn to sail as well and occasionaly take their Dad out for a sail then I beleive it will be time well spent.

Gareth

You are right on about everything you said and everything you are doing, Gareth. Kids want to be with other kids. And they really need to learn to sail a boat solo first, to build their confidence in their ability to control a boat on their own.

And it is not just about sailing. Learning how to be in command of your own vessel is a life experience that will help you with confidence in all walks of life even if you never sail again after childhood.

Last edited by Mary; 04/08/08 07:53 AM.