I'm finally back "on" so I thought I'd post on the topic of "snuffing" since I've had questions from various folks about it and there were some negative comments made about the experiences in the Keys. First let me say I'm NO expert in the topic BUT I do have experience so I want to share that and get others input. I made a decision about a year ago now to try the "skunk" midpole snuffer based on my (unsatisfactory) experience with a pole end snuffer and the fact the Tornado class was almost unanimously going to snuffing and some sort of midpole snuffer was working well for them. I sail a Taipan with the "stock" ~1.5" diam. aluminum pole (as "stock" from AHPC) and mounted the skunk ala the Tornados- with the back of the skunk lined up with an imaginary line drawn down the forestay to the pole. I wanted the skunk as far "back" as possible to keep the weight back and windage down (bag is both farther back and lower). Since I generally solo sail I also wanted a system I could handle solo with as few lines to "pull" as possible.
Now that I have thin, flexible snuffer patches on my chute and have worked out most of the "bugs" I think I can launch and snuff quite quickly- (Not sure how it relates to rolling a Hooter but probably within few seconds of the time?), I KNOW faster than I can bag drop (maybe slightly slower than perfect hand "launch" but you don't have to go low or "prepare"). I ended up with my bag atop my tramp for wave drag and ease of rigging issues and a Tornado style double halyard arrangement and it all works.
Gotta go to work now but please post specific questions or others comment-

Kirt

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48