Weight is major and to state otherwise is deluding yourself.

I didn't say weight didn't matter, or wasn't "major". My statement was that in light air weight doesn't hurt as much as people think. I'll stand by that. I said extra weight hurts more in medium conditions, and I'll stand by that as well. I don't believe extra weight is automatically helpful in heavy air, but that's more boat dependent. So we're almost in agreement.

I'll say that every Hobie I've sailed/raced (14, 18, 20) wanted lighter crew (and boat) even in heavy conditions to sail better. The only time that being heavy didn't hurt was in light air.

The Nacras I've sailed and raced (5.8, 6.0, 20) haven't minded the extra weight as much in heavy conditions, in some cases it's helpful. But again, where it hurts most is in medium conditions, not the light stuff.

In light air so many other things matter. And, for almost everytime I've seen a lighter boat/crew out accelerate me as a heavier crew/boat I've coasted through the next lull as they slowed earlier. Actually keeping boats moving though maneuvers is key, and reduces the acceleration difference coming out - most people don't do it well in light air. If you're smooth a heavier boat can keep momentum better through a light air tack or jibe.

That's been my experience, spoken as somebody who has sailed ~400lbs of crew weight on a regular basis. If that makes me deluded than so be it!

Last edited by Keith; 03/28/08 07:22 PM.