i think I may have told this story recently, but...
About 5 weeks ago. Sailing solo, uni rigged, couldn't tack it was so windy (25kn+, seriously). I was trying to tack from sitting on the hull- as opposed to while coming in from the trap. I tried more times that I care to remember and couldn't even get the boat head to wind enough to go backwards and reverse steer. I would have turned around to go back home (trying the get 10 miles or so to pensacola beach from where I keep my boat) but the idea of gybing was kind of terrifying because I KNEW I was going to go over if I tried it.
Eventually decided I had to try it from the trap but got separated from the boat (still hooked in) and it went over. The wind was blowing on the underside of the tramp and I could see the mast was submerged to below the spreaders. Somehow got the boat to stop doing that, but now had both sterns in the water with the bows pointing straight up. As I was standing on the leading edge of one of the rudders (yeah, I know... not the best place to stand... but what was my other option?) I really couldn't figure out how this was going to play out. At least the mast wasn't staight down. It eventually fell over on its side. Plenty of wind to get it back up... and back over. I can't remember specificly but I think that happened at least 2 times.
I finally got it to come up and stay up but the rudders were pinned driving the boat DOWN. So there I am, exhausted on the windward side of the front beam being dragged through the water with no strength to get back on board. I was finally able to reach the trap handle and get myself back on the tramp and quickly neutralized the rudders. If I had lost contact with the boat at all I would never have been able to get back to it.
I was so exhausted after that that I didn't actually want to race the next day. Oddly enough, nothing broke.