I've searched the forum and found several topics on bringing back a neglected finish. I've also noticed that some people have stated that since doing that the polished finish doesn't seem to last. I talked to a guy today that's in the marine industry and he told me that I'd be wasting my time by polishing the boat. He said I could compound it and it would look good for a few days but the dull would come right back. I realized that after we got off the phone nothing was mentioned about using sandpaper first.

So here's the question...Is using sandpaper the difference and possibly he's just not aware of that? How many people who have brought back a dull finish wish they'd just spent their time sailing the boat instead of polishing it?

Clint

Applied in a female mold, gelcoat forms a solid outer skin that holds up well for a long time. Once that outer skin starts to oxidize, it exposes an inner, more porous material. Starting with 600 grit sandpaper you CAN polish it and get a nice shine. It will take you about two days of work to get it there and if you can keep it out of the sun, the shine will last for quite a while...just not as long as the original shine. It is certainly much cheaper than re-gelcoating the entire boat.

Jake Kohl