"Just basic things on a H14 and 16 make a nice difference."
I agree totally. The "no changes" philosophy has always used extra cost as an excuse, but how much do most simple improvments cost?

Cheap convenience improvements:
Increased downhaul - a couple of small cheap blocks and 10 feet of line.
Increase main sheet from 7:1 to 8:1- one block.
Downhaul cam cleat - $18

Not so cheap improvements:
Loose footed main - the existing boom could be modified into the new FX1/Tiger/Fox/Dragoon style with a few parts, but I don't know if the sail would need a major recut or be replaced.
Captive ball mast step - The Dragoon is in the process of converting from the H14/16 mast step to a H17/20 ball step. Lots of expensive parts.
Self tacking jib - Lots of parts and maybe a new jib.
Spinnaker - see above.

The hard core racer is going to spend plenty of money to stay competative with new sails, new wires, lighter blocks, maybe even a new, lighter boat. Despite what the oldies say, money still makes a difference.

While the H16 is losing sailors to the new hi-tech boats, I think there is a lot of life left in her. Part of the problem is image. A boat with a spi and a self-tacker just looks modern.

My main interest in the H14/16 improvements, as I am an H17 sailor, is that we will be next on the list for upgrades after Hobie is done with the H14/16 upgrades because I am tired of going to regattas and being in fear of my life going downwind with I20s and Tigers and other spi boats blasting around me.
WE NEED HELP!!!
Good luck to the H14/16 Class.