I see the need for a 20' Formula rule that is somewhat recognized. To me, and I'm very fallible in this regard, the best course would be to do as the F16's have done, and name a couple of foundation boats. For instance, the I-20 (US version) as well as the N 6.O with a particular chute, whether it be the New England one @ 350 sq ft, or the I-20 chute @ 270 sq ft, or some other. This way, existing boats could be raced/scored both one-design and F20 until the critical mass developed to allow consistent Formula racing. Despite the 6.O's reputation as the "Boat that Floats" the I-20 has consistently shown the ability to be competitive under crews up to 410 lbs (Wallace and Gumpel, the hotshots from San Diego, routine race and win on the Inter at a combined 400-410 lbs). Meanwhile, teams as light as 340 are very competitive in a variety of wind ranges as well. 6.O's seem happier closer to 350-380. Anyway, I'd like very much for a firm F20 rule to be adopted in the US, with at least two grandfathered boats, in the near future.

my $0.01

Andrew Tatton Nacra 20 "Wiggle Stick" #266 Nacra 18 Square #12