Andrew,

Let me first say that I think that the formula classes will be the wave of the future. With all the various manufacturers now splintering the class racing, I think the drive for more similar racing will continue to push us toward formula. The U.S. is a bit behind in the proliferation of formula.

While I agree with you in principle, I know I will never be satisfied racing my 6.0na as a formula boat because the playing field will never be consistent. Even if you pick chutes and make allowances for one design over another, there will always be large differences in boat speed in different wind and water conditions between the existing 20 footers. Because of this, it will be difficult and frustrating for me as a racer to figure out how my skills and boat are performing at any given time.

Even the formula classes that are active in the U.S. (with the exception of the A class boats) largely consist of boats from one manufacturer. Grandfathering in boats is a way to help bring up participation in the formula classes but I am of the belief that if the boats weren't designed for the formula rules that it is unlikely they will be competitive and that the (serious) sailors will be frustrated. Hopefully the strongest building formula classes in the US, F18HT and F16HT, will soon see the introduction of other manufacturers.

Jake Kohl