Usually the tail wagging the dog results from unsafe speeds....Speed is a huge factor in safe trailering. I really can tell the difference when towing with my Protege5 compared to our minivan....with the minivan I never feel the trailer getting squirly, even at higher speeds, but with the Protege I have to watch my speed (but it still feels rock solid at less than 65 mph). On one trip from the west to the east coast of Florida yesterday I saw three broken down PWC trailers with various forms of axle/bearing breakdowns, and i bet this was primarily due to excessive speeds (one guy came flying by at 80+ MPH,wagging his tail, only to be passed by me by the side of the road a few miles later...). If you check the European manufacturers specs, you should get a good idea about max braked and unbraked trailer weights and tongue weights for small cars (they have all the experience over there in regards to small car towing), and if you combine that with safe speeds (not exceeding 60mph or so) you will be fine, and you will get great fuel mileage! The hydrodynamic shape of cat hulls helps as well to limit frontal drag.

Last edited by arievd; 07/19/08 12:34 PM.