cat fever-
I didn't mean that recreational sailors don't deserve rescue. Not sure where you got that....
as far as the fireman/police/SAR people... I thought of that when I typed it- they do enjoy the adrenaline rush of what they do but I am sure they are also thinking "jackass!" when they are rescuing some people.
my opinion is what people have echoed on here- it is stupid not wear a pfd when out on a catamaran, less stupid if you don't wear one while cruising on a bigger boat. either way is stupid but I agree that I don't like laws that mandate anything but someone tell the lawyers that. There is, unfortunately no such thing as personal culpability anymore. gotta blame someone for everything

BTW, I was deployed as critical care evacuation team leader in the Phillipines and loved it when I was actually doing my job. Taking off in a helicopter at night with lighting all around to transport a local who got in a motorcycle accident and had a brain bleed (and I do not believe he was wearing a helmet) was sketchy but thrilling.

Last edited by PTP; 07/30/08 12:02 PM.