Ducati Scott,

You should know how much each daggerboard and rudder weighs from an F18! Pre-production Vipers used these

I and several other know exactly what these weighted ! When Greg wasn't looking we placed everything on the electronic scales at the Global Challenge 2007. The same scale that were used to check all other boats for compliance. So we know exactly what the weights were and the relative differences between it and all other boats that were present there.

There have been several posts on this subject in the past, although the participants of the GC 2007 were kind enough to be a little restrictive in publizing these specs. Some of them were quite shocking and honestly we all respected Greg to come out with a prototype boat at our event and deeply felt for him when a forklift truck had run over the shipping box a few times in a row, severly damaging the hulls.

I'll give one example, The prototype Viper daggerboards were a tad over 8 kg per pair where the next set in weight (mine, AHPC Taipan daggers) were 4.2 kg per set, the sets of new Stealth and Blade boards were respectively 3.2 kg and 3.6 kg per pair. Thus the difference being almost 5 kg on a pair of daggerboards alone ! None of the boards broke at the event and we had very rough weather.

I'm totally convinced that the Viper can be 120 kg when the guys building it are paying attention.

Sadly, I learned that "can" and "will" are not always exchangable in real life.

I'm hoping for the best !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands