I suspect the answer you will get from most F16 sailors is as follows.

"If we wanted to sail a fast, big, heavy, off the beach catamaran, supported by the large manufacturers the F18 is the obvious choice. F16 sailors generally prefer their boats slightly smaller, much lighter and just as fast. The fact that it isn't supported by the big manufacturers doesn't bother them, in fact i suspect some are actually happy that way. The cost of this attitude is that it will take longer for the fleet to grow compared to the F18 class, and that's ok too."

Actually I think growth of F16 fleets around the world is doing amazingly well, especially at your home club.

High performance cat sailing at our club has been revived because of the F16's.

JJ,

I had almost this exactly discussion at my club yesterday with a new member.

Don't want this, that and the other as they are too heavy, I want something I can sail single handed and 2 up; Light; which I can pull up the slip without killing myself, with a Asym Spi. I want to be able to configure the deck layout how I want it, not how it is defined in some arbitary class rules.

Myself, and 2 other sailors who DO NOT sail F16's all came up with the only suitable solution: F16.

Because the F16 is built down to a sensible weight for a 16 foot boat, people can sail it single handed.

The only problem we have in the UK is that everyone loves their boats so much, they don't sell them, so when comes up for sail, it is not for sale for longer than a few days!!!! I sign of a healthy class!

As Rolf says, if the read tape is so great in your location, please join the International association so you can be part of the class and have a vote.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here