hi all,
had my old nacra 5.2, 2 handed sloop for a year now and am now pretty happy soloing it and looking after the the main (15.5sqft) and jib (4.1sqft) by myself

however when i've take the kids out for a quiet sail the tramp has been too cluttered with jib sheets and blocks for safety so recently i've been trying to see how the boat sails with only the main

4 things i've noticed

1. traveller position when uni rigged seems much more important than sloop rigged to prevent the main from stalling. with the same northerly wind as always on our lake and heading upwind to the A? buoy i find i have to spend quite a bit of time working out exactly if it's 2, 3 or 4 inches i need to let the traveller out to get the tell-tales on both side streaming well on a fixed heading.
with the jib on i never seem to need to let the traveller out that little to get both sides flowing well. surprised that the jib was so important for this

2. while it should point better uni-rigged the boat seems to be dog slow without the jib and i tend to bear off on a reach looking for speeds that just aren't there...

3. in only light winds there has been no problems with tacking into irons. haven't even needed to uncleat the main, slow roll-tacks have been fine.
when uni-rigged in strong winds the mainsheet MUST be released more than the usual or the main WILL weathervane the hulls into the wind

4. without the jib the sail plan is unbalanced and the tiller needs quite a pull to keep going straight, presumably quite a bit of drag there

so it's good to know i can detune the rig if i need to but with all the disadvantages i can't see that i'll be doing it much

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294