Charlie,

I've got a mark IV as well and I've sailed off that beach (not on my Boyer). It's a terrific spot to sail and shouldn't be too difficult. Another thing you might consider, especially since it is a pretty steep beach leading to the water, is to find some carpet scraps and put them under the hulls just leading into the water. You can put your boat on the carpet, pull out your wheels, secure your wheels, and then slide the boat on the carpet into the water. Anytime you leave your a-cat unattended (for just a second like this), I would leave the mainsail unpinned from the boom so it can float free and not catch the wind. Once your at the boat, pin the main on the boom and slid it into the water. If you've accumulated sand on the carpet at the water, lift the bows and slide the sterns down the carpet until the bows are in enough water to float. Then lift the sterns and push into the water.

Based on an idea that a friend of mine had (and I'm sure it's been done elsewhere), I put a t-bar on my beach wheels with a 45 degree riser and a handle that comes up even with the top of the hulls - in the middle of the hulls - at the forestays. That t-bar has a leg that sticks below it at the ground under the dolphin striker. In an offshore breeze, I can back the boat to the water, put the beach wheels right at the edge of the water, step on the leg to embed it in the sand, and slide the boat off into the water leaving the beach wheels right there at the water's edge. Works great (in an offshore breeze).

Jake Kohl