Originally Posted by Tikipete
Does anyone know if Hans Klock rigged his spin at the first GC? And, since I'm likely to be sailing against F18s and perhaps a few I-20s at Carlisle, what's the best strategy for competing against sloops?

Pete, IMO, sailing single handed with a kite in a mixed fleet needs planning....

Have a plan for each mark and stick to it!

Approaching the windward make is no different from in any other class, you need to be in clean air and you need to keep people away from above you. AS you are sailing single handed, you should be pointing higher and so most will not try to drive over you close by.

Going from the windward mark to the spacer can be a challenge if it's real windy and so I'd suggest taking the traveller out with you on the last tack so you can let some out as you round.

IF you are near the front of the fleet, a gybe set can be good on the first round as you get onto port early and should have a measure of clear air (but depends on the fleet size). IMO, there are two conflicting aims at the point the kite goes up:

1, Get the kite up PDQ as the boat goes faster with it up
2, Getting onto PORT with clear air at some point.

It can ge good to carry on and get the kite up and drive off with speed on stbd as it FEELS good, but you are delaying the chance to get onto port. If there are no other reasons, I'll usually aim to get the kite up and then look for a chance to gybe. YOU don't want boats gybing before you as you then WILL be covered by them. IF its really windy, a gybe set can be a good move as it saves a gybe in the big stuff with the kite up (I usually fall in when gybing).

Leeward marks can be difficult as you (being single handed) have a lot more to do... Aim for the mark that looks like it will be least busy when you get there, but you DO need to think about which side of the course you want. It can be worth dropping a little early to allow you to have more chance to pick a space more easily. Remember, as you are single handed, you will point higher, most decent sailors know this and will tend to try and avoid getting right on your aft quarter as they will just have to tack away.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here