Pete-
As to your original question many pages down this lost, meandering thread- I have some experience racing unirigs against sloops- if they are passing you to weather either they came from way above you and are footing down on you or your boat is not tuned very well IMO. Either a good F16 or A cat uni should be able to outpoint an F18 or 20 in most conditions. SO- in case 1 above- I keep an eye over my shoulder - what you do NOT want them to do is "camp" above or above and just ahead of you- been there, done that! They will be feeding you bad air but unable to get clear ahead to continue to foot past you and you will both end up going slow- SO- I try to keep a lookout and if they will pass ahead of me I just let them- better to even drop a little sheet/traveler and slow a bit to let them get gone- they will disappear below you, if it appears they are on a course to intersect you then I will go into "point high as I can" mode- my intent is to get them to foot further and take my stern and if they are wise (and most are) they will take the offer- once they have committed to going below me then you can go back to VMG mode- Of course the other option is to tack away when you can IF that is a reasonable option given all other aspects.

Kirt

Kirt Simmons
Taipan, Flyer