John,

No, Mark's concept is that it would still be a Portsmouth/Open Class event on the top level .... but individual classes could be scored also at the same time at a lowwer level. So competitors could actually compete in their class and the overall class. They then would be able to take the points they earn at the "One-Design Class" level back to their particlar classes' "High Points"/Class Ranking compitition in their own class. Effectively it would be a "local" championship.

Mark's concept is a method to put some value to attending the "Area Eliminations" at the One-Design Class level

I think that this is an EXCELLENT proposal and would help bring the "beach cat" community back together healing some old slights and wounds.

I've found that at the Yacht Club level they like hosting a Alter Cup Area Eliminations as this gives the "club" cache' ... ie:national credibility w/ US Sailing .... and it gives us beach cat sailors exposure to/at the Yacht Clubs, we just need to find a way to insure attendence ....

As both a HCA-NA member and a Open Class Sailor I would support this proposal and I hope that others would too. I think that this could be a WIN-WIN situation for the beach cat community

Sail Flat, Sail Fast, Sail SAFE
Harry Murphey
H18Mag/#9458, Fleet 54/Div11
P19MX/#86, CRAC/Open Class