The University of FLorida has Lake Wauberg as the rec facility off campus that has been active 50 years. I believe the present director is Paul Jones.
They maintained Hobies (14,16,18) there for a long time, that were usually broken by users, damaged or unusable. Now they have 2 Hobie Waves, with various Sunfish, sit-on kayaks, canoes, Windsurfers (see Hobie history above), paddleboats, and old class sailboats (rather tippy 420s) from the UF Sail Club. There is a 200 yard swimming test, and sailboat parts test. There are DEFINITELY power boats available to the rec study student assistants- used all the time, year around. I have never heard of a fatality in 32 years..

Tho one fool did see his girl friend tip a canoe over in the reeds, and did not fetch help with the power boat. Instead, he did swim off the boat ramp down at the end of Lake Wauberg where it said "Do not feed the gators- No Swimming". He now salutes left handed, as his right arm was mostly removed by a very large female gator. It was sewn back on by one of our best Florida sailors, but there were nasty bacteria involved, so it was like being bitten by a Komodo dragon. I am not making this up. See the UF website for details- on just the sailing part, of course.

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison