Originally Posted by pepin
Originally Posted by Cheshirecatman
Seen the Topaz 14/16?
I sailed the Topaz 16CX (top of the range with better sails and a spi) solo once. It's a fun boat, but it needs a lot of wind to move. In the 7-8knts I experienced at the time it was a dog... In retrospect I should have rigged the jib in addition of the main.

Compared to a F16, the CX is more robust (rotomolded hulls), has less sail area, is 40kgs heavier and has no boom nor daggerboards.

However it cost only(!) £6000, for reference a double handed Stealth is £9200 (could be more if you want a self tacker or carbon foils), a Hobie 16 with a spi is £9700.

If a Hobie 16 is being referred to as a performance cat do you really think an F16 is a suitable boat to compare the Topaz to? If Yves Loday wanted to design an F16 we all know how easy that would be.
The Topaz ticks the boxes of what was previously suggested and a bargain for any US buyers with the current exchange rate.
Now, if it was to be built out of high performance thermoplastic matrix composites(HPTMC) instead of being rotomoulded, and had daggerboards you then start working towards a low maintenance performance cat.
However, talking about improving cat designs, how about HPTMC masts?

Cheshirecatman