Originally Posted by hobie1616
One of my kids was born with a lot of physical problems. A few require that he wear plastic braces. They usually last about two years. Shriner's Hospital has an excellent program that takes care of the kids needs until they're 21.

Now that he's 21, he faced with insurance companies that want to play 20 questions before even considering replacements. Part of the process was to be seen by a podiatrist. This doc says he's been working on some carbon fiber braces that he thinks will last a life time. Reading through other threads here I kinda doubt it but they have to be better than what's currently available.

Here's my question. Is there anything I can offer the doc on materials, weaves, etc. that would make them stronger? Any other advice that may be helpful is greatly appreciated.

TIA

What wears out on the plastic braces? Do they wear out from abrasion or fatigue from flexing?

Carbon isn't very abrasion resistant but it is strong and lightweight (I know...duh). Lightweight strength means that you can build something stronger while maintaining the same weight as other materials. If cycle stresses are the leading cause of failure in the other plastic versions then the carbon can probably help...some. If the problem is abrasion, then kevlar would definitely be the way to go. Actually, Kevlar is probably the way to go anyway. It is not as strong as carbon but it is less brittle and handles abrasion and flex much better. Note: use epoxy resins with Kevlar...Kevlar (aramids) aren't naturally clingy and their strength properties are only truly realized when used with epoxy based resins.

I thought spectra and the like had adhesion problems with epoxy or polyester resins?

However

Jake Kohl