Originally Posted by Undecided
A 230lbs person will NEVER be competitive in a class that has NO minimum crew weight rule. (F16)

For your weight, the only competitive options are really the N20 and F17 and I'm not even sure about the F17.

Now those are such unsubstaniated statements as to be a load of old bol****s. In truth most middle age guys are pushing 200lbs particularly anyone around 6ft. 230lbs is not big on modern day standards, certainly I'm around that weight with wetsuit and harness etc and guess what I recently won a very light air race in a F16 fleet, mind you as soon as the wind gets up where I should do well I do badly. The F16's are a rare breed, they are designed to carry two smaller bodies but will sail equally well with 1 fattie, push up and down the beach on your own ( try that with a N20 or F18 )can be as docile as you want but as sporty as there handicap which is the same as a F18.

Its horses for courses fellow sailors, if you want long distance power sailing then the two handed boats are the only options, if you want to safely go sailing on your ownsome( and that means launching, recovery from a splash, and boat yard hnadling ) then that leaves the A's and F16's. Why not the F17 / FX1, they unfortunately can't really be easily righted from a capsize when there's little wind, by one person, certainly they are nice boats but they are a two hander in reality.

Have you looked at the F16 Viper, its a F16 on steroids and should handle the extra weight well. Best of luck but you may have to think along the lines of owning two boats to acheive your goals. cool