Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by Mike Hill
Here is a link to the new rules: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/RRS2009-2012-[5950].pdf -> You are going to have to cut and paste this as I can't figure out how to make it a link. The [] in the link seems to mess up the ability to link it. I tried backslashing the "]" but that didn't work.

The way I read this is the minute the inside boat gets within 3 hull lengths to the mark she has all the rights in the world. It doesn't matter if she is on port or starboard. So a port inside boat can force a starboard boat to gybe. It's going to be a lot easier to force a boat to round the other gate mark or at least force them to throw two extra gybes in. I don't like it. It gives too much power to the inside boat at a gate and can cause some very fancy manuevering.

Inside Port has always had room to round rights inside the zone - they're overlapped and inside.

The one that still blows my mind is the boat coming in on starboard to a downwind mark (looking downwind at the approaching gate) may have rights if the port boat is able to give it to him...he may not if they can't. Don't try to force starboard rights on a freight train of ports within the zone - you might lose that one.

I assume you mean when on stbd and rounding the gate to port, in which case the stdb boat has rights to ROOM to round, if the port boat(s) can give it; back to the discussion we had over here

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here