Hi SD,

Any luck? I just bought a P16 a couple months ago and so far have always sailed it solo. I "raise" the mast with the cat laying on its side. I don't even use the hinge steps.

I flip the cat on its side and use my righting line tied to my car (or tree) to hold it in place so it's leaning just beyond its tipping point. It's tipped at just the right angle which allows the mast tip to rest on the ground when the mast is perpendicular to the front crossbar when the casting is placed on the half-ball.

I place the mast and all attached rigging on the ground. I then pick up and place the mast's casting onto the half-ball. Pushing the mast forward along the ground tightens the shrouds and holds the mast on the half-ball while you attach the forestay. That's it.

Pull on the righting line to start raising the boat back upright. When the mast is off of and parallel to the ground double check that it is secure and all rigging is clean. When satisfied continue flipping boat back over.

I knew I'd be sailing solo a lot so I looked into all sorts of creative gin pole contraptions and such for raising the mast. Just tip it on its side and plug the mast in.

By the way, does the SD stand for San Diego? I'm from Utah but have been sailing at Mission Bay much of this winter. If you're in San Diego let me know.

Have fun,
Matt