Actually the wing is best in 3/4 reach according to Bruce Proctor skipper of Quest 2, Quest 3 and Miss Nylex twice winner of The I.C.C.T.. whatever it is now (the F18ht trophy?)..

According to VYC rating Miss Nylex and her successors have a rating of 57.. The Tornado with genacker has a rating of 66.. If these ratings are true (and they are based on many years of true water effort not speculation) then your friends are suggesting the F18HT is almost 14.5% quicker than the Olympic T.. *chuckles*.. If that is the case then why did the Tornado in that race you had over there recent (bridge to bridge?).. I mean the F18ht would be 8.4 minutes faster per hour!!

Yes one could make a race designed for F18hts.. Short legs uphill and downhill to maximise tacking an gybing but even then they would be worked hard to maintain a Cs speed.. The race would still be won on the uphill legs.

But your correct the trustees have made a mockery of the original trophy.

Finally for the record.. I have walked around the hulls of the Au C.. Yes they would be competative against any C sailing. I have seen the wing mast.. The skipper is good being an exOlympian in Tornados.. Wining a bronze if I recall.. I also believe a second Aussie C is being designed with wave piercing hulls and a new wing mast to trial against the current C.. But the mockery made put paid to the new boat Im not sure..

Last edited by Stewart; 03/07/03 05:22 AM.