I wanted to add another thought: I usually do not kick-up a rudder unless I am sailing a long downwind in light air conditions. We do sail about 100 pounds overweight, and I have found the extra boat movement and me being too far aft, tacking rudders and such, really hurts our performance. We are much more competitive making smooth gybes and tacks, which are difficult, when the skipper is on the back of the boat tacking rudders.

It is impossible for our boat to go as fast as the light weight crews. We are heavy. But! This does not mean that we cannot be competitive. Tactics, is crucial. We have won races, taking the right windshift, from last to first place.

We sail in B Fleet, and sometimes can compete with many of the A Fleeters. Last year, the winds were non-existant, and I was struggling to get to the starting line to start with B Fleet. I finally made it to the line, when C Fleet was starting, and gave way because I didn't want to mess with their wind. We started after C Fleet and managed to finsih in the middle of B Fleet finish. All of this happened because I watched both fleets sail into a "dead hole", tacked to the other side of the lake, and passed most of the boats to the windward mark.

Food for thought,
David