Luiz and others,

The 45 mm unstayed mast has a total length of 5.50 mtr and weight of 6.7 kg. The sail with battens is 3.0 kg. The centroid of this mast alone is located at 2.2 mtr from the base and that is 0.55 mtr less then the centroid location of any prismatic (extruded) mast (of same length = 5.5 mtr). Meaning that if both masts weight the same then the unstayed mast requires less righting moment. About 3.65 kg less for a person of 1.65 mtr length.

So basically unstayed mast + sail is 10 kg, with a better weight distribution.

Actually, I believe that is about the same weight that a stayed mast made from extruded aluminium would be as well. Of course their will not be any weight difference between the sails, only a shape difference. The same for boom and sheet systems.

I do suspect however that it is alot easier to produce a carbon version of the unstayed mast then for the stayed rotating wingmast. Afterall, the unstayed mast is nothing more then a set prismatic round tubes that are slid into eachother and I believe such carbon tubes can be ordered from a number of sources. The longest tube is only 2.5 mtr long.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 03/09/09 07:21 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands