Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Timbo
When a F16 beats an F18, instead of saying the skipper sailed a great race, it's "Wow, that F16 has such an unfair rating, let's lower it."

Why is it so important for the F16 sailors to be beat teams NOT in their class? If you want a chance at beating teams in another class then join the freaking class.

And Tim we've had the discussion about the F18 number and the new boats already. Is the F16 as fast as the F18 or isn't it? Answer that question Tim!

This thread is now going in circles as they all end up doing.

To answer that question I would first have to ask, what are the wind/wave conditions?

In some conditions, very light air or very heavy air, I would say a well sailed F16 is very close in speed to an equally well sailed F18. Not faster, but nearly as fast, depending on sea state. Punching through waves is going to slow down a shorter, lighter, hull more than a longer hull, heavier hull. I think that is pretty much a scientifically proven fact. I'll let Wouter show you the math on that. And going downwind in big wind and waves, the shorter hull is going to stuff under those waves (slowing the boat) more often than a longer hull, again, this is simply science.

But in light air and flat water, the F16 being lighter, might have a slight edge. And in very heavy air but flat water, the F16 might be able to keep up with the F18 if the F18 crew is overpowerd more so than the F16 crew. I'm not convinced the F16 is faster or even as fast as the new rating.

Jake's point is well taken, the designers have improved the desighns, but the F18's have not adjusted their numbers down since making many changes to their hulls, masts, tramps, etc. The poor Inter 20 guys who are stuck with SMOD rules are going to have their work cut out trying to stay ahead of F18's in any open race, like an Alter Cup qualifier.

Is the Infusion/Capricorn faster than the older F18's? Answer that question. grin

Blade F16