Originally Posted by Wouter

I do see Jake's point though, and Mike's, using a straight measurement only system doesn't chang the numbers for such things as a new type of mast (Carbon and/or wing type vs. older types) and newer hull shapes, etc.

Neither do the Yardstick system for that matter.

I mean, yardstick system ONLY look at the name of the boat, in this case F18, and not whether that particular boat is fitted with a wingmast or not. In that sense measurement based system are clearly better as these CAN distinguish between a carbon mast and an alu mast (if indeed you want to make that distinction).

If 50% of the F18 fleet is made up of Tiger then these will dominate the yardstick ratings, not they handful of Capricorns that are running around.

Again, this discussion about rating systems is turning toward gut feelings and entrenched believes, not scientific discourse. That way we not get anywhere. Others may recognize such a situation as a "Wouter moment"

Wouter

hahahah....I completely agree (about the scientific comparison part). All of the discussions about accuracy of one system over the other has definitely not been looked at from a numbers perspective and is wrapped up in the ball of "gut feel".

Jake Kohl